JIRA - Trying to run condition on an issue, but no issue exists

Emma_Kay December 21, 2017

We have JIRA Software run on a server, we are on version 7.1.1.

From yesterday, we have an issue whereby we cannot edit anything. We can load issues, navigate around, but editing any fields or editing a status of a JIRA, just results in JIRA hanging, with the whirly icon.

In the log it says:

2017-12-21 09:18:11,170 http-nio-8080-exec-8 WARN shaun.taylor@lakeland.co.uk 558x1050x1 1g4g8ku 194.62.125.14 /browse/LL-2810 [c.a.j.p.webfragment.conditions.AbstractIssueCondition] Trying to run condition on an issue, but no issue exists

Nothing has changed from the day before this started happening, no screen, workflow or other sys admin changes. Nothing has changed in the application and database configuration either.

I've tried a re-index which made no difference, also tried a re-start. Googling this error doesn't bring up anything of use. Please can anyone help?

7 answers

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

That could explain why the issue has stopped occurring on our test environment, as when we upgraded Jira to 7.9.2 we also upgraded Zephyr to 3.6.3 (from 3.6.1).  Upgrading Production soon so will see what happens there.

G June 6, 2018

I tested the Zephyr upgrade yesterday and it does fix the errors. Load times also seems faster on tickets on the newer version so the bug could have been causing slowness. 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

Does that error go into the log every time you try to do something?  Is it always that error and no other?

Could you have a look for :

Errors in the logs that occur while Jira is starting - I'm looking for errors starting things

Under manage add-ons, select the list for "all" add-ons (including system) and have a check through the list - are any disabled?

0 votes
Tony Severyn June 6, 2018

We're running JIRA 7.5.2 and Zephyr 3.6.1. We're planning on upgrading both during the last quarter of this year. I'll make a note to check if the issue is resolved. Thanks!

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

Maybe upgrade Zephyr first?  It's a quicker and easier upgrade and should solve the problem.

Tony Severyn June 6, 2018

That's a good idea. We're currently upgrading to Tempo 8.11. When I'm done I'll see if I can get a Zephyr upgrade into a Sprint.

Sara August 17, 2018

Did Zephyr upgrade take care of the issue?

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2018

It did on our instance

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

We have also been experiencing this issue whenever any user opens any board...

WARN /secure/RapidBoard.jspa [c.a.j.p.webfragment.conditions.AbstractIssueCondition] Trying to run condition on an issue, but no issue exists

It has been happening on Jira Server 7.3 for over a year.  I have recently upgraded our test environment to 7.9.2 and the errors seem to have stopped in the logs.  Will monitor after production ugprade.

0 votes
Jonathan Chatwin May 23, 2018

I'm on 7.8 and see this on any board load...

WARN /secure/RapidBoard.jspa [c.a.j.p.webfragment.conditions.AbstractIssueCondition] Trying to run condition on an issue, but no issue exists

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2018

Are you using Zephyr?

0 votes
Kyle Jones March 1, 2018

Emma What version did you upgrade to? 

Thanks

Kyle

Emma_Kay March 5, 2018

We went up to v7.6.2.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2017

Does your JIRA instance have the Xporter addon installed?

Tony Severyn January 8, 2018

Hi, we're running JIRA Software 7.5.2, without the Xporter add-on and are experiencing the same issue. Also tried re-indexing but hasn't helped. It seems to be sporadic.

Our log message is slightly different:

2018-01-05 09:21:34,733 http-nio-8080-exec-17 WARN A06021 561x294633x1 o4t9mn 172.16.240.157 /secure/RapidBoard.jspa [c.a.j.p.webfragment.conditions.AbstractIssueCondition] Trying to run condition on an issue, but no issue exists
2018-01-05 09:21:34,733 http-nio-8080-exec-17 WARN A06021 561x294633x1 o4t9mn 172.16.240.157 /secure/RapidBoard.jspa [c.a.j.p.webfragment.conditions.AbstractIssueCondition] Trying to run condition on an issue, but no issue exists

Any ideas?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

That's really strange. I'd contact Atlassian Support for this:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please, update this question if you find out what happened, so that other users experiencing the same symptoms can fix the issue faster.

Best regards.

Emma_Kay February 6, 2018

Hi Tony, interesting that you have the same issue, but no we don't have the Xporter add on.

Ignacio - I'm unable to contact Atlassian support, as we only have a 10 user license which means, since they recently changed their support model, we can only request help via this user forum, we can't get any help from Atlassian directly :-(

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2018

For diagnostic purposes, may you start Jira in safe mode and check whether or not it solves the problem?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/upm/disabling-and-enabling-add-ons-273875716.html

Kyle Jones February 6, 2018

Hi 

We are also having the same issues running 7.4.5 and have opened an issue with support, We have tried a couple tasks with no success,.

For us, the problem is sporadic and isn't isolated to 1 user, 1 issue type or 1 workflow. In our logs after the error, we are seeing an error similar to this:

2018-02-06 08:43:18,893 http-nio-127.0.0.101-8080-exec-254 INFO sdhandap 523x11414066x1 1qlrg6v 192.168.255.251,127.0.0.1 /secure/AjaxIssueAction!default.jspa [c.a.jira.security.WorkflowBasedPermissionManager] WORK_ON_ISSUES not granted by 'denied' workflow permission.

We have Re-indexed the instance, we have vacuumed the Database Tables and re-indexed for the second time.  I am going to try the safe mode suggestion

Emma_Kay February 7, 2018

After spending much time trying to resolve this issue and getting nowhere, we completed an upgrade to the latest version and this has now fixed the issue.

Tony Severyn February 7, 2018

Hi

On my end I contacted the end users while I saw their errors and they reported no impacts. We have JIRA Software and run several Scrum Boards. I narrowed down the error to whenever someone accessed their Scrum Board. They just needed to open it. The issues on the Board didn't need to be touched. This makes sense since the error path is /secure/RapidBoard.jsp. However, I am seeing other paths such as /browse and /QuickSearch. These errors are bothersome but they don't appear to be impacting operations. We're planning on upgrading to 7.6 from our current 7.5 and we'll see if this fixes the issue as in Emma's case.

Kyle Jones March 1, 2018

Emma

I am curious what version you upgraded to?

Thanks

Kyle 

Suggest an answer