JIRA Software is currently unavailable.

Dan Randall August 16, 2017

Hi all,

I've upgraded JIRA from 6.2 -> 6.4 -> 7.2 -> 7.4

6.4 was working fine, however upon upgrading to 7.2 the following error welcomed me on the main screen:

JIRA Software is currently unavailable. This might be because an upgrade task has failed to run or has not yet completed.

I've tried the solution below, it did find a plugin "HIPCHAT" which was deacativated, i activated it using the script provided. However the problem still persists.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-software-is-currently-unavailable-error-after-upgrading-to-jira-7-or-newer-794373743.html

Any suggestions where to look?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2017

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately you missed the critical path when doing the upgrade. JIRA Agile (separate plugin in 6.4) requires tasks that run in the JIRA Software 7.0 installer. They're removed from 7.1 and onward, so you must do an interim install at 7.0.

From JIRA Software 7.0 upgrade notes (pretty easy to miss):

If you're upgrading from an earlier version of JIRA and JIRA Agile, you need to upgrade to JIRA Software 7.0 before you upgrade to any later versions.
Use the upgrade path JIRA 5.1 OR EARLIER → JIRA 5.2 OR LATER → JIRA SOFTWARE 7.0 The intermediary upgrade version is necessary due to upgrade tasks that were removed in JIRA Software 7.0.0.

Hopefully you've done this on a test environment and you can just start fresh again and stop at 7.0 during your upgrade path. If you find yourself in this state on a production environment, I suggest contacting Support (support.atlassian.com) to see if they can help you push those migration steps through via SQL queries.

Dan Randall August 17, 2017

Thanks man I've contacted the support. I've realized what ive done wrong now.

Ryan Marrs October 4, 2017
0 votes
James Bourne August 20, 2017

Having suffered similar issues recently, ensure that when upgrading Jira Software ensure you apply each and every update in sequence. Don't skip any. I tried going from 7.3.1 to 7.4.2 the other day ... yup broke the product. Rolled back to a snapshot then applied each remaining 7.3.X update individually. 7.4.0 deprecates a key database directive that you have to fix by hand otherwise the product won't run. I then applied remaining 7.4.X patches and all appeared to be working fine.

Suggest an answer