JIRA/Slack Flag Notification

adam.cormack May 21, 2020

Is it possible to trigger a Slack notification once an issue is flagged? I've looked at Notification Schemes and the Slack Integration settings, but I'm unable to find any options to achieve this.

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2020

Hi Adam,

There are a couple ways to trigger Slack notifications when an issue is flagged.

1. Jira Cloud for Slack is the standard Slack integration and accessible from the "Slack integration" option in your project's settings. From there, you can use this filter to fire a notification when an issue is flagged to whatever channels you need:

JQL Filter: Flagged = Impediment

Issue is: updated

image.png

image.png

The caveat here is that if the issue is updated while it is still flagged, more notifications will be triggered. For example, after flagging an issue with this method, I then re-prioritized it in the backlog, and a second notification was triggered:

image.png

2. Using an Automation rule, you can trigger a notification when the flag is added and only when the flag is added. In contrast to the previous method, only one notification will fire while the issue is flagged.
    image.png
    • Trigger: Field value changed
      • Fields to monitor for changes: Flagged
    • Condition: Issue fields condition
      • Field: Flagged
      • Condition: equals (in any order)
      • Value: Impediment
    • Action: Send Slack message

The only trick here is that flagging an issue stores a value in a custom field. Taking that into consideration, it's possible to filter for the flag with JQL or custom field comparisons, and then use the included tools (Slack integration and Automation) to trigger notifications.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events