JIRA Server - Where did the Scheme Tools go?

Deleted user August 15, 2018

In JIRA Administration / System / Advanced, there used to be Scheme Comparison tool that was handy for comparing Permission Schemes and Notification Schemes. I used to use this tool to reduce the number of unnecessary schemes (since many were very similar and didn't need to be unique).

I searched around and only found an article here, regarding when Atlassian apparently took it out of the Cloud version (we are using JIRA Server 7.11)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-cloud-scheme-comparision-tool-779160761.html

Does anyone know if this is just a bug, or if this tool is gone for good? Is there a setting that needs to be applied in order to add it back to the Advanced system menu?

Thanks for any feedback

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2018

Hello, Chris.

Indeed, the functionality was removed as mentioned in the official Suggestion ticket here - JRASERVER-62576: Re-enable Scheme Comparison functionality in JIRA Server

The scheme comparison tool as described in the below link was deprecated for JIRA Cloud and the changes were carried over to JIRA Server as well. This functionality is now unavailable in 6.4, 7.1 and 7.2

I encourage you to visit the suggestion page linked above and click the Vote and Watch links near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.

Feedbacks are always welcomed. You can do this by leaving a comment on the ticket as this helps us prioritize & understand the use case of the feature request. I hope that helped to answer the question that you have on the absence of the scheme comparison tool.

Deleted user August 16, 2018

Thanks Ahmad. It's too bad that was removed, since it was quite useful to me. I'll cast my vote. In the meantime, for any other users who are wondering how to compare two different Permission schemes. Here's what I am doing until a better option is available:

• Select a Permission Scheme and use your cursor to highlight all the permissions from the top of the page to the bottom
    • Copy and Paste all the highlighted rows of information to an Excel tab
  • Select a Permission Scheme for comparison to the above and highlight all the permissions from the top of the page to the bottom
    • Copy and Paste all the highlighted rows to a separate Excel tab.
  • Clean up the information on each tab by "unmerging" cells, removing "blank" rows after unmerging, remove columns except for the permissions and groups you want to compare, maybe put borders around all cells to make them more evident, etc
  • Once cleaned up, cut-and-past the desired columns from tab 2 into columns just to the right of the existing data on tab 1.
    • Now both Permission schemes are on the same tab, next to each other
    • You may have to insert some cells in one or the other Permission scheme to account for one scheme having more or less groups "allowed" in it.
  • Once the top-level permission rows are aligned (Administer Projects, Browse Projects, Assign Issues, Close Issues, Create Issues, etc) you can compare the two schemes

This is not ideal, but it does the trick. Thanks again for your quick response.

Like Milena Merten _DE_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events