JIRA Plan - Doesn't show Story Point Field

Ankit Mahajan September 20, 2022

If JIRA Plans source of data is JIRA Projects that has Scrum or Kanban Board won't show option to use Story Point field. 

If JIRA Plan source of data is Scrum Boards, Story Point field show up

2 answers

2 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Hi @Ankit Mahajan 

Story points only works with Scrum boards for Jira Projects. I am trying to find the documentation to share but can't seem to right now but I have looked into this in the past. Kanban by definition isn't supposed to work with velocity and in Agile story points are specifically for velocity tracking.

So while some teams do work that way and it works at lower levels of Jira Software, both Advanced Roadmaps and Jira Align from all the research I have done is around Jira being used properly as an agile tool. Properly meaning all teams working the same way, and when teams use scrum they use story points etc.

There are 3rd party tools like Structure for Jira that are better designed to work the way teams prefer rather than the way Atlassian has it designed.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/34717/structure-flexible-jira-project-management?tab=overview

Best,
Clark

1 vote
Reece Markowsky
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 10, 2024

you can. fields will allow you to select story points if (under your plan settings) you choose estimates in story points vs days,. to do this goto Plan Settings

Scheduling

Estimation

Estimate issues in: points

then story points is available under Fields.

Prateek Pradeep
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 26, 2024

THIS IS A CORRECT ANSWER.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events