JIRA - Migrating from Server to Cloud - Import error

Saeedeh Ghoreishi November 2, 2017

Hi, I'm migrating jira server to cloud and I just need the Jira software. But when I'm importing the zip backup file I got the following error but I do't need the jira service desk!

"There was an error importing file 2017-Oct-31--0000.zip: Validation failed. Following issues were reported:

How I can import the backup file without need to install the service desk?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi there,

It sounds like you're running into a bug which we currently have tracked below:

There is a new workaround for this issue which just requires you to edit the entities.xml file contained within your backup. You can run the following command in a command line terminal;

sed -i '' '/<OSPropertyEntry.*com.atlassian.servicedesk.*type="6"/d' entities.xml

Once you make the change you can recreate the backup with the updated entities.xml file and try another import. 

For more information, including suggested workarounds, view the ticket

0 votes
Mark Stramaglia March 13, 2018

Same issue here as well - I'm trying to migrate from JIRA Server to Cloud.  Did a Service Desk evaluation back in the day, but it isn't active now.

I also tried uninstalling the Add-On before performing the export - now, when I'm on the Add-Ons page in Server, Service Desk isn't even listed, but it still must be in the XML backup because I'm still getting the same error on the Cloud side.

0 votes
Olivier Vanekem January 29, 2018

I'm having the same issue here.

I'm running the latest version of JIRA server 7.7.0 and I have installed an evaluation license for Jira Service desk (3.10.0).

I then do a backup. When I try to do a restore in JIRA Cloud I have the exact same issue:

How is this possible?

I also have seen this ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4272 and it seems linked to the JIRA version above 7.1.9. I however am not willing to downgrade like proposed in the ticket.

Anyone found another solution so far? I can't think there are few cases like that happening?

Rgds

Olivier

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

You can't.  Your data has Service Desk data in it, so you need to have Service Desk on the latest version so it can export the right stuff.

Or you could try to remove the data, but that's going to take a long time to get right.

I'd install service desk on evaluation, get it upgraded, and then re-do the export.  Check that you're on Jira 7.5 (Core) and using the latest version of Jira Software too.

Saeedeh Ghoreishi November 2, 2017

Thanks for the reply,

The JIRA Software is 7.2.4 and I have no option to update it. I have no license for JIRA Core and as I see the system info, Service Desk is 1.2.0.2! If I just get the Service Desk from Version and Licenses page on evaluation, and then do the export, it works? I don't want to touch the jira software or jira core because it'll have the downtime.

I have just few days to migrate to cloud.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

Jira Software is an application for Core, so you do have Core.  Bit it won't show if you used the installer that bundles Software with Core.

The latest version of Jira Software is 7.5.2, you need to upgrade to that before you can do the export.

Suggest an answer