JIRA: Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only.

roarke September 19, 2017

When attempting to add my administrator account for the first time set up, I receive the above error. 

In the jira-software logs this message is shown:

2017-09-19 11:23:01,449 http-nio-8080-exec-10 WARN anonymous 683x216x1 1m3r1oi 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 /secure/SetupLicense.jspa [c.a.jira.application.ApplicationConfigurationHelper] There are no writable directories to create the default group for the new license.

I would appreciate any advice.

I am running on MS Server 2008 R2

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Are you using the internal JIRA user directory? The error message suggests that the system has been hooked up to LDAP or some other directory in a read-only mode, and the internal directory switched off.  It needs at least one directory to be read/write so it can add groups.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Also what DB are you using?

roarke September 19, 2017

We are currently using Sql 2005

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2017

Are you using the internal JIRA user directory?

Vikram Kshatri January 27, 2020

I am facing the same issues, using JIRA 8.6.1 with SQL Server 2016. Please help how to get this resolved.

I have given the SQL user all the admin reghts and also can see the tables are created in the DB.

Suggest an answer