JIRA Agile and SAFe - when will JIRA Agile support the SAFe hierarchy?

Rena Sawyer November 17, 2014

SAFe shows a hierarchy of items like this:

Epics

Features

User Stories

Tasks 

In JIRA, there is no tie-in that supports a hierarchy where User Stories belong to Features, and Features to Epics. Are there any plans to support this type of hierarchy in order to use JIRA Agile for SAFe methodology in the future? If so, when?

2 answers

3 votes
Frank Schophuizen September 13, 2015

I am working on a series of articles on my blog, sharing my experience with on implementing SAFe with Jira.

More articles will probably follow.

Feel free to drop a comment on by blog.

Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2016
2 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2014

Atlassian recently launched a new offering for higher-level planning: JIRA Portfolio. It is framework agnostic, i.e., not exclusively purpose-built for SAFe but focused on solving the practical challenges when planning and executing multiple projects across multiple teams. It provides an additional level of hierarchy above JIRA Epics which are named Initiatives, so you have Initiative>Epic>Story>Subtask (subtasks will not show up in Portfolio since its focused on the higher-level plan, but they are considered when aggregating the progress from subtasks up to the Initiative).

Additionally, Portfolio supports so-called Themes which can for instance be used to represent investment categories or value streams, and track resource allocation against them. 

The naming can be customized if needed (currently this is a dark feature until we add additional flexibility, when having the latest version of JIRA Portfolio installed, you can reach it via , <jira-url>/secure/PortfolioNomenclature.jspa. This would allow you for instance to do the following name mapping which fits SAFe: 
Initiative > Epic
Epic > Feature
Story > Story
Theme > Value Stream
Release Stream > Program

Portfolio certainly goes beyond "just" adding the additional level of hierarchy, as it adds capabilities for resource planning, forecasting and progress tracking - that's why it is a separate add-on to solve the challenges end-to-end. 

Becky Owens November 10, 2016

Any thoughts on Capabilities?

Wondering how to tied Initiatives to Capabilities to Epics in JIRA.  Do you recommend a new issuetype for capabilities or is there another option?

thanks!

Marianne Phinney June 20, 2017

Has this been implemented in later versions of Portfolio as readily available instead of by a hidden URL?

Cherrypie July 20, 2017

I am looking for the above mentioned Initiatives and Themes in Portfolio management, it is not offering any of these (Epics Stories Bug and Tasks only) nor do the above links work to them. Are they still available ?

Like tiedaerial likes this

Suggest an answer