JIRA Agile Plan Mode is Empty

mcacciatore July 8, 2015

I have a lot of issues entered, and they are currently mapped to a status of Backlog.

I would like my Plan View of my scrum board to show items that are currently in the Backlog status. The problem is if I go to my board configuration and map the Backlog status to a column, then the Sprint Board Work Mode now shows the Backlog column.

I want the Plan Mode to show items in it and the Work mode to not show those Backlog status items.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

In order for an issue to show up on the board, it must be selected by the boards filter.  If the issue is not associated with a sprint, then it is a backlog issue, if it is associated with an active sprint then it is associated with that sprint.  So, like @Mike Sorensen said, you can have issues that don't show up in the backlog at all (say for example, becaue they aren't ready to be considered at all), thru the filter.

1 vote
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

On my boards, "Backlog" means it's in the To Do status but has no value in the Sprint field. Backlog for the JIRA Agile board is the issues that match the filter and the status maps to a column but they don't have a Sprint value. 

Considering how you are using your Backlog status, it seems to me you should rename it "Deferred" or "On Hold" and leave the "Backlog" issues as the ones ready to go to a Sprint but haven't been assigned yet. 

mcacciatore July 9, 2015

Hi Mike, I made a comment to your reply on my other thread that may better fit this discussion: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/19144868/two-boards-for-one-project-with-one-flow For recording purposes, here's the discussion: So I think this is close to what I want. The issue I'm having is, I have the following statuses: - To Do - Assigned - In Progress - Done And I have the following columns on my board: - To Do - Assigned - In Progress - Done To Do status is the default status for open issues. I want tickets with this status to be on my backlog planning view, but I don't want this column to show up in my Work view... I want Assigned to the first column people see in the Work view. But if I omit the To Do status from the board columns, then nothing shows up in the Work view. Does this make sense? It's hard to relay it over this forum.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2015

Backlog shouldn't be a status. Backlog is what you see on the board, that are not planned into a sprint.

Otherwise, you will have to live with the extra column and it can cause confusion!

mcacciatore July 8, 2015

So how do I get items to show up in the planning mode? If I don't map the status to the board then they don't show up.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2015

You have to map the starting status (Open, To Do or whatever you call it)

Suggest an answer