JIRA Agile Assignable Users permission is ignored?

Richard Wilkinson April 30, 2014

Hello,

We're currently trialling JIRA Agile OnDemand and I'm having trouble with the Assignable Users permission.

All our projects currently use the Default permission scheme. Within this, we have Assignable Users set to "Project Role (Developers)" and "Project Role (Clients)". These are the only roles / groups / users listed as having this permission.

I'm looking at a particular project. On the Roles screen for the project, there are three users listed as "Developers" and nobody listed as "Clients".

So, by my understanding, issues in this project should only be assignable to the three users listed under Developers. Is that correct?

In fact, we can assign issues in this project to any user in the system.

At first I wondered whether this was because so many users were Project Administrators (thanks to this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5035) and perhaps this permission overwrote the other permissions. But I checked with a user who doesn't have the administrator role, and that user was able to assign the issue to any other user as well.

Before I raise a support issue I'd like to check that I'm not missing something really stupid! Is there something we may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Richard

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2014

You've mentioned 3 users land in the "can be assigned issues" permission via being explicitly named in the role. But could you check

1. The Groups that might be in the role as well (especially "jira users" or "jira developers")

2. That the permission scheme really does say ONLY "Assignable user: Role: Developers"

D'oh! I knew it would be something stupid. Yes, the "developers" group is also in the Developers role for the project, and most of our users are listed in that role at the moment. (I didn't set that bit up...)

That's strangely easy to miss for some reason!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2014

It's a human cognitive thing apparently. If you go into the screen and all the roles are empty, it works ok, you read the top line and start adding people or groups quite happily.

But, when there are names in the column on the left, most human brains go "ok, that's what I needed" and stops processing stuff further to the right. It's to do with recognising people, so I suspect it's worse if you know one of the people named, and I'm sure the icons don't help either because if they're good images, the brain kicks into face-recognition. Lots of distraction from the "groups" column in other words!

The only reason I said all of that was because I did *exactly* the same as you did a few weeks back, and then ended up discussing it with one of my friends who's working through a neuroscience course...

0 votes

This may apply to JIRA On Demand rather than JIRA Agile On Demand - we're trialling both but I guess these projects and permissions are part of JIRA rather than JIRA Agile itself. Sorry for the confusion.

0 votes

This may apply to JIRA On Demand rather than JIRA Agile On Demand - we're trialling both but I guess these projects and permissions are part of JIRA rather than JIRA Agile itself. Sorry for the confusion.

Suggest an answer