JIRA 7.6 can't be installed with port 80

Tuan Nguyen December 17, 2017

I am trying to install JIRA 7.6 on my Redhat and I want to use port 80.

But the installation process rejects with reason "for security reasons the port number must be above 1023"

Then I go ahead with the default port 8080 and follow some posts to change the configuration port to 80 in server.xml and using jira configuration tool by running config.sh. But still can't run JIRA on browser with port 80

So both the installation rejects port 80 and changing configuration to port 80 doesn't work.

Please help. Thanks.

JIRA.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2017

This is a standard Linux security system kicking in.  Services cannot run on ports below 1024 unless they are run by root.

Three approaches:

1. Run Jira as root.  Except, do not do this.  You absolutely do NOT want to run Jira as root, that's a much bigger pile of security problems than this blocking behaviour
  2. Run Jira behind a proxy.  Proxies such as Apache and nginx use some tricks to run as non-root systems on lower number ports, and can effectively solve the problem for you by saying "when user lands on 80, I'll just proxy it over to Jira on 8080"
  3. Use the same "setuid" trick Apache and Nginx use to run non-root users on low numbered ports on the Tomcat that is running Jira. 

I prefer option 2 because proxies generally allow all sorts of other sneaky things while keeping the Jira installation as non-customised as possible.  I've done 1 on a test system, and had security scans throw fits, and I've done 3 a couple of times a long time ago - it works, but proxies are nicer (because I always add SSL, and usually integrate the Atlassian stuff with other systems, and can use it to make them part of a website and and and)

Suggest an answer