JIRA 6.3.11: Project Role Browser for a specific Project -- Stuck loading forever

Todd Hlavacek February 12, 2015

Hi all,

We recently upgraded to JIRA 6.3.11 from 4.3.4.  For the most part, the upgrade was flawless with a few exceptions.  All projects that came from 4.3.4 suffer from these two particular issues:

1. Project Role inside the Project is stuck at "Loading"  (Navigate to Admin -> Projects -> <project> -> "View Project Roles" in the Roles section)
  2. Versions inside the Project is stuck at "Loading Versions" (Navigate to Admin -> Projects -> <project> -> "Show All" in the Versions section

All new projects created in 6.3.11 do not suffer from this problem – only the projects that came over as a part of the upgrade.  Does anybody have any idea why this is occurring and what we can do to fix this?  Moving projects to a new project is not an option.

Here are the screenshots to illustrate the issues.Roles.jpg

Versions.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Todd Hlavacek February 17, 2015

Ah, I was able to pinpoint the exact cause.   This is a known "Bug" that was disavowed as such by Atlassian Bugmeister.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37570

In short, if you have a numeric project key post JIRA 4.3.4, all versions and components and even roles will no longer display. 

I have added my comment to that ticket. 

My workaround is this:  temporarily rename Project Key from a numeric version (e.g. 34) to an alphanumeric version, e.g. XP34.  Do whatever action I need – like releasing/archiving versions, etc.Then revert the project key back to the original numeric one (because of Atlassian's Subversion code commits which do not show code commits if using the new project key).

Thanks all for the help.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

Any error in the logs? Any javascript errors in browser?

Using FireFox's built-in Error Console, I got this after clicking on View Project Roles. Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead. batch.js:79 "ajax[44354836] error : { successful : false, status : 404, statusText : error, hasData : true, readyState : 4, requestId : 44354836, aborted : undefined, }" The atlassian-jira.log file does not show any warns, errors, and infos related to my Project Role and Version load attempts. Should I be looking in a different

Oooh. Interesting. That ajax error occurs with all 4.3.4 upgraded projects, but not with the new projects we created in 6.3.11.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2015

Maybe you can use something like Firebug to see the request details? Like the URL, data sent etc and see what is different?

Ok, here you go. Looks like a REST GET is failing. See the last sentence on this comment. batch.js?locale=en-US:146 Resource interpreted as Font but transferred with MIME type font/x-woff: "http://mshlavaceklt:8080/s/en_US-fhmki4/6341/3/5.6.7-jira-1/_/download/reso…ces/com.atlassian.auiplugin:aui-experimental-iconfont/atlassian-icons.woff". batch.js?locale=en-US:2423 Your are trying to create a ToggleBlock with selector '.twixi'.One already exists with this trigger so has been ignored. batch.js?locale=en-US:2423 Your are trying to create a ToggleBlock with selector '.toggle-trigger'.One already exists with this trigger so has been ignored. batch.js?locale=en-US:2423 Your are trying to create a ToggleBlock with selector '.toggle-trigger'.One already exists with this trigger so has been ignored. batch.js?locale=en-US:167 GET http://mshlavaceklt:8080/rest/api/2/project/34/versions?expand=operations&_=1424212838967 404 (Not Found)

Clicking on the link returns this: {"errorMessages":["No project could be found with id '34'."],"errors":{}} But yet, I'm viewing JIRA issues in that project. Time to find the offending code and understand how this is blowing up.

Suggest an answer