It's possible to remove the "type" on JQL search options?

Nico Assain September 6, 2017

Hi All,

I have been asked if it's possible to remove the "type" (same as issuetype), on JQL search and leave only "issuetype" to be selected, instead of both with the same function.

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

The only way I can think of doing this would be with a custom add-on. Seems a bit complicated, any particular reason why you would wanrt to do this? It would break all existing filters where type is used.

Nicolas Assain September 6, 2017

Hi Boris, thanks for replying this quick! I would avoid add-ons. The reason is because we already have a Type customfield created and rename it's going to be very complicated since a lot of projects are using this field.

The biggest question is why there is a redundant name for Issuetype, like "type"?

Appreciate the help!

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

My guess is that type was the original and a lot of people didn't understand it so Issuetype was added to make things clearer, and type was left for legacy reasons.

However, this is just a guess and I have no evidence to support this.

In your situation, the best thing I can suggest is to move away from the Type customfield. It will be a PITA, but it can be done. Getting rid of type is going to be a lot harder.

Suggest an answer