Issues upgrading from JIRA Software Server 7.1.10

Jesse Dijkman August 10, 2017

Dear sir/madam,

Currently, I'm having JIRA Software Server v7.1.10 installed at my server. Today, I received a messages to upgrade to the latest version as support for v7.1.10 will end soon. But I don't see an upgrade button appearing in my admin panel. Why is that and/or how can I upgrade to the latest version on my Linux 64-bits server? I tried with the 'atlassian-jira-software-7.4.2-x64.bin' upgrade, but that gives an error. I hope you can help me a bit further. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Jesse Dijkman

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2017

An upgrade option won't appear for JIRA Core, as that is the structural thing that everything runs on top of, and has to be updated manually.

If there is an upgrade for JIRA Software available that is compatible with your underlying Core installation, you'll find the option to upgrade in "manage applications"

But for your version, you do need to run the installer to update Core and Software.

"that gives an error" does not tell us anything other than it has failed.  You'll need to explain that if you want any help.

Hi Nic, I don't have JIRA Core installed. Only JIRA Software Server 7.1.10 on my QNAP Nas. For earlier JIRA Software Server updates, a button appeared behind under 'JIRA Software' in my Manage applications page. But after the currently installed version, no update buttons appeared anymore. How can I update without JIRA Core installed?

And additional question: where is the log file located that could tell me more about the update error?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2017

Yes you do.  JIRA Software can't run on it's own, it runs on top of Core.  The JIRA Software download you've used to create your system is a bundle of Core and Software.

The installer will have given you an error on the command line when you ran it and selected "upgrade", but also dumped some information into <jira home>/logs/atlassian-jira.log in a lot of cases.

The atlassian-jira.log doesn't show any errors at the time I ran the installer, so that doesn't help me any further.

What do I need to proceed, do I need to install JIRA Core first using the Download button on the 'Manage application' page? Or do I need to use a different installer/upgrade file?

aws twitterksa August 10, 2017

Atlassian

Thanks for your help guys. It appears that I downloaded the wrong file. I had to use the download from https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.jira-software-application/versions?_ga=2.46884711.1527312413.1502351276-233276459.1499014043 as I already had JIRA Core installed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2017

Ahh, well spotted.  I was going to ask about the processes you'd been through (including what you'd downloaded) next.

Suggest an answer