Issues do not appear in my backlog.

drewwyatt March 23, 2014

I created a new project and agile board, and have created several issues. But they do not appear in the backlog. Am I missing a step?

I can see that 15 issues exist:

But when I click "View on Board", I get this:

12 answers

1 accepted

58 votes
Answer accepted
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

I'm not sure but can you check the Boards configuration. Maybe in the part "Column" you will see that no statusses have been mapped to any columns. Not sure if that also influences the Plan mode of the scrumboard but you never know.

Edit: I just did a test on our instance and it does influence what is shown on the Plan mode of the Scrumboard.

Best,

Maarten

prempal singh November 7, 2016

Great,

This is a common problem. One need to ensure anyunmapped items in the column is placed in the right column, otherwise JIRA tickets may be missing from the Board.

Like # people like this
Joel Edwards January 13, 2017

Solved! Thanks for that, was so confused what was going on but makes sense now.

Suresh Torlapati July 16, 2018

Solved! Thanks for your suggestion. 

voyager8jlh August 14, 2018

I had the same problem and checked the swimlanes and they didn't match the workflow statuses.  I change the columns and everything was good.  GREAT ANSWER.

Like # people like this
Bill Miller October 5, 2018

A picture to go with all the Words.

Note "Unmapped Statuses" all the way to the right.

I dragged the Unmapped Status on the proper column and all is well.

Columns.jpg

Like # people like this
Heather Upchurch January 9, 2019

Thank you a lot!!!

Anton Perera June 10, 2019

Unmapped issues are the cause. I mapped them via Board -> Configure -> Columns and now those unmapped statuses can be added to columns and the issues with those statuses will be visible like mentioned by @Bill Miller 

Surbhi Soni July 11, 2019

Thanks..!! :) 

Anupam_Sinha January 2, 2020

Thanks! Worked like a charm!

consuelo.handy May 19, 2020

Thank you! It worked.

Chris June 12, 2020

Huge thanks!!

sowjanya gondi August 4, 2020

This was super helpful!! thank you

megan.graphenteen February 24, 2021

I realize I'm late to this thread, but I am not seeing any unmapped statuses and still only see 34 of my 254 issues in the backlog. Any tips?

Darlene J July 29, 2021

@megan.graphenteen Are you using a Kanban Backlog or Scrum Backlog? And did you check your board JQL to make sure some of those issues are excluded?

If Kanban board, check to make sure that this box (under "General" tab) shows:

• Kanban board Sub-filter = clear this field 
  • Hide completed issues older than = Never mind, show all

Answer.PNG

Hope this helps.

Like # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

What @Darlene J said - sub-filters and hiding completed issues trip up many users.

Like # people like this
8 votes
Don Lam April 7, 2016

I think the solution does not work in the case where you do not want to a Backlog status to actually show in your swim lane/columns.

The whole point of having a backlog view is so you don't pollute your active sprint column with the stuff in backlog, and for the items to only show up in your To Do after you moved them from your backlog.

I am using the To Do as items that have been pulled into the Active Sprint from backlog, but has not been assigned for a developer.

Ingrid Maehl December 22, 2017

I am having the same issue.  Atlassian told me to make a backlog column on my scrum board.  I don't want that column there.  My issue is also complicated because we are moving from a Kanban Board to a scrum board.  On the Kanban board we have a backlog column, on the scrum board, we want to use the backlog that is inherent with a scrum board.  Very frustrated. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2017

@Ingrid Maehl, I’m a bit lost on this thread likely because it seems to have veered a bit. Can you state your precise issue? This thread in fact is a bit dated so suggest we take a fresh look at your specific issue. 

CertInly a scrum board will have a Backlog View that is independent of the active sprint view. I don’t understand the need to display backlog column in active sprint. 

Sarah Nosratlu February 14, 2018

Hi, I have the same Issue as Ingrid. Is there a new thread anywhere to follow up on this topic?

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2018

Hi Sarah,

I haven't found any, so I would suggest you create a new one so this gets our full attention.

Best,

Maarten

David Roulin May 31, 2018

Hey @Jack Brickey and @Maarten Cautreels, I created a new thread as you suggested, because I agree with @Don Lam2@Ingrid Maehl and @Sarah Nosratlu in that Jira seems to force us to display backlog issues in sprints:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Why-must-we-map-a-given-status-to-a-column-in-order-for-the/qaq-p/809087

Like Franco Sabadini likes this
7 votes
Paul Burden March 31, 2015

I had this same issue and maarten's first answer was the right answer. The problem was that it wasn't  immediately clear to why columns might be my issue. I thought i'd elaborate on both why this happened and show how to fix it.

When I created my new project, I had copied status and a workflow from another project which wouldn't be the standard setup.  This added new status in my project that aren't mapped to columns in the agile workboard. These new status appear in the  unmapped status in the "columns" configuration for the project. My backlog was showing empty despite having 6 issues.

I simply modified the columns and dragged the unmapped statuses into the lane.  Here i have all my statuses mapped to columns:

column.png

Regards,

Paul

Sergey Markov May 29, 2015

Thanks Paul. Had same issues and your solution works fine. Cheers, Sergey

CHEW MAN FAI September 30, 2015

Hi, Can tell me how to get into the column management page?

1 vote
Marcelo Glasberg May 4, 2020

Took me a while to discover that filters remove the issues from the board.

Check if any of these are removing your issues:

• Board Settings > General > Edit Filter Query
  • Board Settings > General > Kanban board sub-filter
1 vote
Carlos Uriostegui Garcia February 20, 2020

One tip:

If you have a created sprint not yet started like this:

image.pngYou are not going to be able to see all the issues that are in a done/closed/completed status (all green statuses in general) even if this status is properly mapped, since the backlog will only show the pending work, once the sprint is active all the issues including the ones completed will be shown to give you your actual sprint progress.

1 vote
Ra Williams November 14, 2018

In case anyone stumbles on this and nothing above helps, I thought i'd post my own solution:

People should be aware of this small point from Jira's documentation:

"Make sure your board has multiple columns populated, JIRA Software will consider the last column that's filled in as the end column."

Essentially, you need atleast two columns on your board. In our use case, we were trying to create an external board for a vendor to use, and deleted all but one column (since they would't need to care about transitioning things). Everything was properly mapped, but nothing showed up, and the column was marked as "to do" in grey (not green). However, as expected (when you think about it), one column = last column, and in Jira last column = done/removed from backlog. Added a second column with my status in the first and bingo – instant backlog.

It's not intuitive at first that one column marked as "To Do" would still function as last column marked "Done." It's super simple, but very easy to miss if you're not combing over the resolution docs with a fine-toothed comb.

Citation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/issues-are-not-appearing-in-boards-779159013.html

1 vote
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2014

Hi Drew,

It's possible that the filter which is used for your board filters out those issues. Can you show us a copy of the Board's filter?

On the board click on the Board button, top right corner and choose for the option to Configure. By default it shows the General tab. If not, click General in the menu on the left. This will show a page that includes your filter. Please copy this in a comment here on Atlassian Answers.

Thanks,

Maarten

drewwyatt March 23, 2014

Thanks for the reply! Here's the query:

Filter Query

project = Fitnessentials ORDER BY Rank ASC

0 votes
Nikolay Tarasenko March 1, 2021

Had similar problem, but it was related to Safari issues. For some reason jira doesn’t like safari. Switched to chrome and everything is fine

0 votes
Priyata Dhar July 6, 2020

@Ethan T 

I have recently changed the workflow for one of my project's, but am unable to view all the issues created in the backlog. The solution suggested above works when we want to have the swimlanes corresponding to the workflow statuses, but 'Backlog' isn't something I want to view as a part of the swimlanes. I'm stuck here, is there a solution available for this? I can see the issues created when I open the epic, but don't see those in the backlog.

Please let me know how this can be resolved.

0 votes
Hanna_Kukharenka January 17, 2020

I had a similar issue and the reason for it was that the project did not have a board created. Even though the board settings & statuses mapping were done correctly.

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2018

Something like this just happened to me, and it turned out to be an issue which was moved from another project, and which landed in an unexpected status which wasn't mapped to the board. Not sure how the issue landed in this unexpected status - perhaps it was as a result of the move ?  Once we noticed that, it was straightforward to transition it to a mapped status, and it now appears on the board as expected.

0 votes
usamashakeel January 4, 2015

Hi,

I am facing same issue, is there any solution for it?

Regards,

Usama 

Suggest an answer