Issues disappear from backlog once taken on Kanban board

Alain Beaulieu December 14, 2020

We work in Kanban mode. I move items from the backlog up to the TODO section above. These items then appear as expected in the TODO column on the board. However once someone pulls an issue and moves it into the next "In Progress" column, the issue disappears from the TODO section in the backlog. This means I lose track of it from a backlog perspective.

Is this by design or I'm missing a configuration? Is the board's filter the culprit?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2020

Hi @Alain Beaulieu 

That is by design, as the backlog area is for work which has not yet started.  Once work starts ("in progress") it appears on the board instead.

For teams using Kanban methods, there are a couple of common schools of thought:

a) You don't have a backlog, as the entire workflow is on the board, from "concept to cash", discovery to delivery.  In that case, the backlog is disabled in Jira.

2) You have a backlog, and you make a distinction between items waiting for replenishment selection, and the work committed for delivery.  In that case, you add another "Selected" status of "not started" type, and that is the leftmost column on the Kanban board.  You may then see backlog versus delivery workflow.

Best regards,

Bill

Alain Beaulieu December 14, 2020

Alrighty then. Thanks.

Suggest an answer