Issues assigned to Epic aren't appearing in the backlog

Jeff Giron August 6, 2015

I created an epic for my project and assigned several issues I had already created to it. However when I go to the Agile board for that project no issues are showing in the backlog. When I click on the Epics tab, it tells me that I have 0 issues in that epic. However if you click on the link to that epic, it clearly shows there are issues in that epic. Attaching images for example (blacked out the project name to protect the client).

example01.jpgexample02.jpg

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2015

Took this from the doc:

"An issue will only be visible in the Backlog if:

• the issue is not a Sub-Task,
  • the issue matches the board's Saved Filter (see Configuring Filters),
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and
  • there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column. Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progressand Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog."

Are your statuses mapped to columns properly?

Kote Khutsishvili April 3, 2018
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and

Why is this rule there?!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2018

Because if it is done, it is done.  It should not appear in the backlog, because it is done.

Kote Khutsishvili April 3, 2018

No, I wanted to show issues under status NEW in backlog and not in Sprint. So, I was forced to add NEW status to the column in the sprint.

Grayson Bishop May 31, 2019
  • there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column. Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progressand Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog."

Why is this here? I found the support article here but it doesn't explain it.

Like Shanta Nathwani likes this
1 vote
LL November 30, 2015

I have the exact same issue. Everything was working fine in JIRA 6.2.3. Then i updated to JIRA 7.0.2 and now nothing shows up in the Epics. Filters were not changed.

1 vote

The filter Query is simply project = VMGI ORDER BY Rank ASC.

Nothing special there, the issues even show up when you open up the filter.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2015

That's good. Now, are you using a Scrum board or a Kanban Board? If Scrum, check if the issues are not assigned to a completed sprint. If Kanban, check the sub-filter query. By default, that hides issues that have a released version in Fix Version

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2015

Scratch that, you're using Scrum and the issues are still Open. That can't be it.

juppa April 29, 2021

A similar issue happened to me. In my case, I had a couple of issues assigned to a sprint, and they were from project W. Also, these issues have an epic link, which is in project X.

My board filter shows the issues (from project W with epics from project X), but as I was using SWIMLANES BY EPICS (on the board config), and the epic from project X itself wasn't mapped on this filter, I think it was responsible for hiding the issues from the sprint board.

After disabling the swimlanes, the issues appeared on the sprint board.

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2015

Your Agile board was probably created from a project, in which case a filter that goes "project = Project A" is created for you and applied to your board.

Take a look at this documentation and make sure the filter for your board isn't excluding the issues you're adding to the epic.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE066/Configuring+Filters

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2015

The answer is probably the filter to your board. It must somehow exclude the issues you added to that Epic. Simply adding them to an epic won't make them appear on your board, they have to pass the filter too.

0 votes
Shanta Nathwani May 7, 2019

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I've got a problem whereby when I apply a filter, that excludes two epics, and the resolved statuses, four of the issues that should appear, that DON'T have epics at all, disappear.

The scenario 

Total issues: 57

Issues that I should see after applying the filter: 14

Issues that I do see after applying the filter: 10

The ones that are missing are the four that are missing an epic. They are in a To Do status.

The filter is: 

project = QAVERIFY AND "Epic Link" != QAVERIFY-519 AND "Epic Link" != QAVERIFY-572 AND status != Rejected AND status != Done AND status != Confirmed ORDER BY Rank ASC
Kacper Wietrzny June 9, 2020

In my opinion this filter has a common problem/issue, that you spot, when you work with DBs. By saying:

... "Epic Link" != QAVERIFY-519 AND "Epic Link" != QAVERIFY-572 ...

you are really saying: filter all linked to epics but epic link QAVERIFY-519 AND filter all linked to epics but epic link QAVERIFY-572.

Saying 'not equal too' assumes, there is a value, so you just need to add null value and do sth like that:

... (("Epic Link" != QAVERIFY-519 AND "Epic Link" != QAVERIFY-572) OR "Epic Link" IS EMPTY) ...
0 votes

As far as I can see, I don't have any filters on this board. I didn't eve know that was possible other than the two "quick filters" at the top of the page. I know how to create filters for dashboards and searching, but not using them for an Agile board.

Suggest an answer