Issues assigned to Epic aren't appearing in the backlog

I created an epic for my project and assigned several issues I had already created to it. However when I go to the Agile board for that project no issues are showing in the backlog. When I click on the Epics tab, it tells me that I have 0 issues in that epic. However if you click on the link to that epic, it clearly shows there are issues in that epic. Attaching images for example (blacked out the project name to protect the client).

example01.jpgexample02.jpg

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

Took this from the doc:

"An issue will only be visible in the Backlog if:

• the issue is not a Sub-Task,
  • the issue matches the board's Saved Filter (see Configuring Filters),
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and
  • there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column. Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progressand Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog."

Are your statuses mapped to columns properly?

• the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and

Why is this rule there?!

Because if it is done, it is done.  It should not appear in the backlog, because it is done.

No, I wanted to show issues under status NEW in backlog and not in Sprint. So, I was forced to add NEW status to the column in the sprint.

The answer is probably the filter to your board. It must somehow exclude the issues you added to that Epic. Simply adding them to an epic won't make them appear on your board, they have to pass the filter too.

Your Agile board was probably created from a project, in which case a filter that goes "project = Project A" is created for you and applied to your board.

Take a look at this documentation and make sure the filter for your board isn't excluding the issues you're adding to the epic.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE066/Configuring+Filters

The filter Query is simply project = VMGI ORDER BY Rank ASC.

Nothing special there, the issues even show up when you open up the filter.

That's good. Now, are you using a Scrum board or a Kanban Board? If Scrum, check if the issues are not assigned to a completed sprint. If Kanban, check the sub-filter query. By default, that hides issues that have a released version in Fix Version

Scratch that, you're using Scrum and the issues are still Open. That can't be it.

I have the exact same issue. Everything was working fine in JIRA 6.2.3. Then i updated to JIRA 7.0.2 and now nothing shows up in the Epics. Filters were not changed.

As far as I can see, I don't have any filters on this board. I didn't eve know that was possible other than the two "quick filters" at the top of the page. I know how to create filters for dashboards and searching, but not using them for an Agile board.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

2,110 views 14 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you