Issues and multiple branches on different repositories

marcogalassi January 25, 2018

Hi, first time here.

I had to face this situation. I have a bug to resolve. I opened a bug issue on Jira. I figured out that, in order to solve an issue, I had to work on 2 different repositories. At this point the issue is in state open.
So, I have created 2 branches (and the issue passed to the in progress state), one per repository, in order to work on the required fixes. At a certain point, I was ready to make pull requests to merge back the branch in the development branch.

I would have expected the issue to enter the resolved state when both the branches would have been merged. But as soon as the first pull request successfully merged, the issue changed to resolved.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a design problem? Can this be configured somehow, like setting the transition to resolve trigger to fire when all the branches from an issue are merged back?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

@marcogalassiwhich repository integration do you use? What's your VCS? What you described is not a standard-out-of-the-box behaviour, afaik.

I use bitbucket and git. I am using the self-hosted versions though, not the cloud ones

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Then bitbucket is my suspect. It's from Atlassian and both applications are linked together. This automated transition  could be happen by bitbucket. Can you have a look in the history of that issue? Who performed the "resolve" transition?

Yep, the history says "Automated transition triggered when USER X merged pull request #16 in Bitbucket - Yesterday"

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2018

My guess was right :) This means you have to configure Bitbucket to take this two branches into account.

I cannot help you further at this point - I have only rudimentary know-how of Bitbucket. But if you cannot "disconfigure" this behaviour, I recommend to switch it off.

Suggest an answer