Issue with a custom field while resolving a ticket

Soutam Roy February 14, 2021

I have a particular field that has been added as a custom field . That field is a descriptive text field . The requirement is that this field needs to be filled only while resolving the ticket and not in any other statuses of the ticket . But if we are making it mandatory then the field becomes a mandatory field even when we are creating the ticket and also if we try to move it to any other statuses, The field should be mandatory only while resolving the ticket . How do i do that ? Can anyone kindly help ? 

2 answers

0 votes
Mac S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2021

Hi @Soutam Roy ,

You don't need to make it mandatory if you wish to get it filled up at certain stage of your workflow.

It can be achieved by adding a new condition by following the stpes

1. Go to required workflow transition
  2. Add a new Conditions and select 'Value Field' option,
  3. Add required details to make custom field 'not null' and save.

With these changes, user won't be able to complete transition unless your field has a value.

Hope it will help!

Regards.

Soutam Roy February 15, 2021

HI , Thanks for your response. The configurations and workflows used here is shared among different projects . Kindly let me know if it would be possible for you to get in a brief call as i would not want to unintentionally make any mistakes that would affect anything adversely. 

Regards,

Soutam 

Mac S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2021

hi @Soutam Roy ,

You can handle multiple projects based on it's id in conditions block by using if-else blocks.

Regards.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2021

Hi Soutam,

The way to do that is to add a Transition screen to the transition to Done. 

So create a new screen that Just has the text field (and maybe the Resolution field if you want the user to select that at the same time - otherwise, just set the Resolution with a post function).

Then attach the screen to the transition. 

You can add a validator to that same transition for the text field to be required. 

Soutam Roy February 14, 2021

Thank you John. Can you show me if possible how we do that as i am not very well versed in creating this . I am relatively new to JIRA admin role. If possible let me know if we can discuss over a Teams call .

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Sure, I can describe. Go to Settings > Issues > Screens

Once there create a new screen and give it a name. Just include the new text field on the screen (and again, maybe the Resolution field if you want them to set it there).

Once the screen is created, go to Settings > Issues > Workflows to edit the workflow.

Click on the transition to Done (the line in the workflow that goes to the Done status)

When you get the popup box that shows Conditions, Post Functions, etc. then click on Edit. 

There you will be able to add the new screen you just created. Then be sure to Publish your workflow and it should work for you. :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events