Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Issue operation and their associated screens

Hello

I am playing around with associating screens to issue operations, but am having a hard time figure out the purpose of this function.
I am also having a hard time finding any documentation specifically for Issue Operations. I've found some documentation mentioning Issue operations, but nothing concrete.

I have created three new screens, and associated them with their corresponding operations. Each screen has a slightly different set of fields, so I can tell them apart when I see them.
Create Screen
Edit Screen
View Screen

So far I've only been able to figure out where the "Create" operation and its associated screen is used.

The question

Where are the three different Issue Operations in use?
Where do I see the "Edit" and "View" operations, and their associated screens?

Additionally

I've seen some people in other community posts mention having an "edit" button in their issues, but despite being global and site admin with all permissions, I cannot find this button anywhere.
I suspect that the button is not present in Jira cloud.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

The view screen is used when you click on an issue and look at the main issue view.  It is not a simple list of fields though, Jira has quite a lot of layout code and rearranges a lot.  The fields on a view screen  only really determine where where a few types of field land in the custom field area of the display - users, system fields, dates and so-on are rearranged into their own dedicated panels, so the view screen doesn't really do a lot for us any more.

The edit screen is used when editing the issue.  In the new issue view, this has effectively been merged into the issue view, so you're just clicking on fields on the issue directly.  If you remove a field from the esit screen though, it becomes non-editable in the view.

Ahoy Nic

I see. Thank you.
What really threw me off was knowing that most of what these things should do, based on their names, seemed to be handled by the issue/request layout.

But being able to set up non-editable fields might just prove useful.

//Rune

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Do you use Jira Cloud with Microsoft Teams?

Hi, Jira users! Do you use Jira alongside Microsoft Teams? We want to hear how you’ve used the power of Jira Cloud and Microsoft Teams (via the Jira Cloud for Microsoft Teams app) to achieve a team...

253 views 1 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you