Issue IDs are jumping by hundreds between creating issues

Panickos Neophytou January 17, 2018

When we create one issue the ID is set to, e.g. 1000, then the next issue is set to 1164 or something like that. This now resulted in having our issues in the hundreds of thousands without any reason.

I have already looked into solutions for this but they are all referencing some kind of plugin that we are not using. We are using Timetracker. 

How can we address this problem?

How can we reclaim all those lost IDs?

We are using the on-prem version of JIRA.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

The usual culprit is rogue emails, ones that Jira is getting part way through creating, then failing, but not deleting them.

Do you have any mail handlers configured?

Also, is it one project, several or all?

Panickos Neophytou January 19, 2018

I have Google SMTP set for outgoing emails.

Are you talking about notifications sent to users?

I also have email handlers for creating issues from emails sent to our jira inbox but never seen any failing to process. All of the emails sent to that account are turned into issues. How can I find out if there are emails that aren't going through?

Also, I only see this in one project, even though I have 2 projects.

Panickos Neophytou January 19, 2018

I also noticed that if I create issue one after the other fast the IDs are consecutive. If there is some time in between then the IDs increase by more than 1 from the last created issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2018

The problem I've seen is purely with incoming email.  Your "if I create quickly" note is in-line with the incoming email problem, as the emails are scanned periodically, so you are creating between scans, while no rogue issues are being created.

The easiest check you can do is to turn off your mail handlers for a while and see if the problem stops (they'll pick up where they left off when re-enabled)

Suggest an answer