Is there any way to test run migrating JIRA to a new server without restricting database access?

Daniel Pipe August 24, 2022

I am migrating JIRA 6.3.4 to a new server, as well as moving the database from MySQL to MSSQL. I want to test run the process first. Is there a way to export XML from the database without restricting access to it or is this not possible/could cause problems? 

Obviously when I do the true run of this process I will restrict access. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

Hello @Daniel Pipe 

If you are doing a test run of the migration, you can do the XML export without restricting access to Jira. You can follow option #2 in the link bellow

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0813/backing-up-data-1027138414.html

Depending of the size of your instance I will recommend to do the export after hours.

When you will be doing the operation for production, it is recommended to prevent users to change data in the old server while you are creating the new one → restrict access.

I hope everything is clear

Suggest an answer