Is there any way to customise workflow with required custom-field only for certain conditions?

sever severoff January 21, 2020

Hello!

Conditions:

1. Issue type = Bug

2. Components = Comp1 or Comp2

3. Team = Team1

4. Transition = Send to Review

Is there any way to customise workflow with required custom-field only for these conditions? For example, I change bug issue from status "IN PROGRESS" to the status "REVIEW". And I need additional required custom field in this step for developers not to forget to add additional information into this custom field before sending to review, ONLY if all conditons match up. And of course, this filled custom field must be visible in the issue after sending to review.

Thnx in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Hello @sever severoff 

It's possible but it's not simple 

You would set a condition and a branch 

If conditions are met -> go this way

If conditions aren't met -> go this way

But the problem is you would need to expand your condition possibilities using a plugin

JSU is great https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/5048/jsu-automation-suite-for-jira-workflows?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

This plugin also allows you to fast track the transition so you would set the conditions the fast track would transition issues automatically to status for witch the condition is met.

You can use a trial for the plugin to see if it works for you.

I can help you set it up.

BR, Olga

sever severoff January 23, 2020

Hi @Olga Videc ! Thnx for answer. So I have installed JSU. I have non-required custom field only for "Bug" issue type in "Default Screen" and in "Send Issue to Review Screen". Do I need add conditions (and what of them) for "Send to Review" transition in the workflow? How to make this custom field required only if Components = Comp1 or Comp2 and Team = Team1?

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Hello @sever severoff 

Quick question, do all issue types go to status "REVIEW" or only Bug issue types?

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2020

Hello @sever severoff 

The part ONLY if all conditions match up was quite a challenge, but here is the solution

1. Create and save filter with this JQL, write down or copy your filter id (written in URL filter=Numbers

issuetype = Bug AND component = Comp1 AND Team = Support OR issuetype = Bug AND component = Comp2 AND Team = Team1 

2. Add two transitions from "In Progress" to Review"

• Name it as you like
  • The first transition will match everything except all conditions match up
  • The second transition will do the opposite 
  • For the second transition
  • For the second transition you will need to create a custom screen and add desired and required fields for this transition, note: required field doesn't have to be set as required in filed configuration scheme, will use a validator to make them req only for this transition.
  • Add a screen to a workflow transition //click on the line and choose edit
  • Add validator -> Field required (JSU) add fields witch need to filed by developers

Conditions for transitions:

JQL conditions (JSU)

Edit filter_id !

Con_1: key = {issue.key} and filter = 14030

• Must not find issues

Con_2: key = {issue.key} and filter = 14030

• Must find issues

The problem was to match when all the condition match up

Only if all conditions match.jpg

BR, Olga

sever severoff January 26, 2020

All issues go to status "REVIEW", and it's the promlem how to separate them. Thnx a lot, I'll try it 

sever severoff January 27, 2020

@Olga Videc  Thnx for the answer. There will be 2 transitions instead 1, am I right?

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

Hello @sever severoff 

Yes, there will be two transitions one if all the condition match, second if they don't match.

Also, they won't be offered at the same time, if that's what's bothering you, the great thing about conditions is if they aren't matched the transition will not show.

If you are offered both transitions at the same time you didn't match the conditions right.

So your developers won't have to think about what to choose only one transition from In progress to Review will be offered.

BR, Olga

sever severoff January 27, 2020

Hi, @Olga Videc !

At first glance and quik test, it's ok, thnx, you're great!

Like Olga Videc likes this
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

Hello @sever severoff 

Great to hear :D if you need any more help just ask ;)

BR, Olga

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2020

Hello @sever severoff 

Were there any problems in the meantime? 

BR, Olga

0 votes
Anton_Ermolaev January 21, 2020

Transition is "Send to Review" or Status/Step "Send to Review" ? You can't search for a transition - it's an event, not a state.

For example, I change bug issue from status "IN PROGRESS" to the status "REVIEW". And I need additional required custom field in this step for developers not to forget to add additional information into this custom field before sending to review, ONLY if all conditons match up.

And of course, this filled custom field must be visible in the issue after sending to review.

Anton_Ermolaev January 21, 2020

@sever severoff  sorry, I guess I didn't read the description firstly.

I agree with @Olga Videc that JSU plugin can help you. In particular, a "Field required" validator can be useful for this.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer