Is there any way to create a "Master" Epic - i.e. an Epic of Epics?

Craig January 5, 2021

I'd like to create a Roadmap which clearly shows all the Epics under a major release. This would be an "Initiative" in Jira Classic projects, but I'm in Next-Gen.

But there is no way to group epics together in Next-Gen that I can see. Would love any help on how I might address this problem. Seems like pretty straightforward planning functionality but I'm missing something. 

Then I'd like to be able to view our Board in two ways, 1) all the items in the major release, and 2) all the items in any of the individual Epics. 

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Happy to provide any other information.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

Not in the Free version of Jira. You can look at Premium which provides the concept of initiatives which can have many epics.

Craig January 5, 2021

Hi Jack, thanks for your answer. To clarify, if I upgrade my Next-Gen project from a Free to Paid, I will automatically have Initiatives as an option on my Roadmap? (I won't have to create a new project?)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

Hi Craig - you would have to upgrade all the way to a Premium subscription to get the Advanced Roadmap features to create more of that hierarchy for Roadmaps. 

But no, you wouldn't have to create a new project either. 

Craig January 5, 2021

Thanks John. I guess that's how they get you. One layer of hierarchy turns out to be an expensive feature. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2021

No argument there.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2021

Well I would argue that you get a tremendous application for free if you and can work within the limits. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events