• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Is there a way to promote a sub-task to a story and have issue linking to the parent story taken care of automatically without having to purchase additional software and re-configure workflows?

Is there a way to promote a sub-task to a story and have issue linking to the parent story taken care of automatically without having to purchase additional software and re-configure workflows?

Carl Menezes November 18, 2014

Background:

1. You've estimated a story on some legacy code and broken it out into sub-tasks. 
  2. The story has been accepted into a sprint and didn't get done because one sub-task turned out to be big enough to be its own story.
  3. You are now at sprint planning for the next sprint.

What is the best way to take that sub-task and convert it into a story while reflecting the fact that it prevents the story it came from from being completed?

I'm fairly new to JIRA Agile, so be kind. My current understanding is that you have Epics that break down into Stories that break down into sub-tasks. If I'm missing something please feel free to point it out as well.

Clairification to my question:

As people have suggested, the logical approach is to convert the sub-task to an issue. The question then becomes "what is the issue type"? Exploring the various issue types according to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/225206, tells me that I probably want to convert the issue to a story. However, there are also "Tasks" and "Features". According to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/252013, it doesn't really make a difference because it is based on the configuration. 

If I go with the obvious choice - a Story, then I lose the link between the parent story that the sub-task came from and the new story - the new story is just another story in the backlog. I know that an issue link can be created and the obvious action here is that to say that the parent story "is blocked by" the new story. Its not great because its a manual process, but its ok. 

The problem however, goes deeper. It turns out that "is blocked by" or "blocks" does nothing to actually block a story from being resolved and if you want that functionality you need to pay for an additional plugin. 

All this seems to suggest that I am either missing a fundamental mapping from Scrum concepts to JIRA Agile issue types or the JIRA Agile implementation is not really usable out of the box. I'm assuming the former given i'm very new to JIRA Agile.

So the question is if there is a standard way to perform a very common use case with agile software: promoting a sub-task to an issue that I'm missing that does not include having to purchase additional software and spend more time configuring the workflow? 

1 answer

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2014

Hi Carl,

I would also convert that sub-task to a regular issue, and it could be any issue type you want. I would probably choose the Story issue type myself.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Carl Menezes November 19, 2014

Thanks @Clarissa Gauterio. I have clarified the question as I realise I did not phrase it very well.

Suggest an answer