Is there a way to natively search within Issues in Jira from multiple Instances?

James Daniel December 14, 2021

Hi all,

We are running into a specific use case where we have many instances within our firm of Jira and some of our Dev team's Jira Projects are in different instances.

Is there a way for us to search all the issues within our various projects between multiple instances? As an example, all our team's projects between Jira1, Jira2, and Jira3 instances?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Artur Moura
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2021

Hi @James Daniel

By default, there is no option using JQL to search on multiple Jira instances.

Even though you create an application link between the instances, you would need to select the instance you want to search for the issues.

James Daniel January 3, 2022

Great - thank you for confirming Artur. Really appreciate it!

Like Artur Moura likes this
1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

As @Artur Moura said, there is no native way to do that.

If you're also open to non-native solutions to your problem, you could try these apps:

• Watchtower or Federation for Jira can be used in order to view issues from other instances in one instance. I'm no expert with these apps, but as far as I understand, you could view details by providing your JQL search terms.
  • You could also use an issue sync app. Using such an app, you could synchronize all the issues you're interested in unidirectional to that one instance.

Otherwise, you could change your perspective and see if there is another common tool where you can search from across multiple Jira instances, e.g. if you're using Slack, you could use SearchMy Adaptavist Slack app. 

I hope, my thoughts help in finding a solution,
Matthias.

PS: I'm part of the team behind the issue sync app Backbone Issue Sync.

James Daniel January 3, 2022

Thanks for all the info Matthias - I appreciate the help!

Suggest an answer