Is there a way to link stories to another issue type using Epic Link?

Lauren Eardley December 10, 2014

I have created 2 other Issue types in JIRA DC instance called Technical debt and Problem Ticket.  We are classifying these as big buckets of work like Epics.  i'd like users to be able to link stories that are created to this issue.  

I can use the issue link field with a value of 'relates to' - BUT if possible I'd rather have a field which allows you to do it like the Epic link..Currently when users search using the Epic Link field they are only able to bring back Epics.  Is there a way that I can also incorporate my Problem Tickets and Tech Debt issues in the results which are returned or is my only option to use the issue link?

1 answer

0 votes
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2014

Hi Lauren,  

There currently isn't any way to implement the Epic functionality to issue types other than Epics.  With that being said, have you explored the possibilities of using Subtasks on your Technical Debt and Problem Ticket issue types.  While not 100% analogous to the Epic - Issue relationship, subtasks can be implemented with any issue type and are easily associated with that parent issue.  This would require a minor adjustment on the part if your users who are currently setting up searches using the Epic Link field.  Rather that using this field, they would search for the specific Issue Type (issuetype = "Technical Debt").  

Here is some documentation for you to review while you consider my suggestion:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Sub-Task

Suggest an answer