Is there a way to get the "Kanban Backlog" option on a Scrum Board?

Sam Wilkinson December 21, 2017

My team has issues which we want to show in our backlog view but not on the sprint board, unless they have reached a 'ready' status and have been allocated to a sprint. The ready status is mapped to the first columns on the sprint board. I want to be able to have something like the "Kanban Backlog" where you can map some statuses to only appear in the backlog, and not on the board.

Any help appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

Hi @Sam Wilkinson,

A scrum board by default has all the issues in the backlog as long as they are not added to a sprint yet and the sprint they are in has not been started yet.

While you can have only one active sprint on a board, you can create more in the backlog view to help you organize / prioritize your backlog in a more granular way.

If you really need to somehow "release" your backlog items to your scrum board (which I understand is what you are trying to achieve) is use a filter for your scrum board which excludes the status preceding what you want on your board.

Suppose you have a workflow like this:

To prioritize > To do > In progress > Done

You could exclude the "to prioritize" status from the board through the board filter. You need to make sure that you can easily find those issues in another way (e.g. through a custom JQL filter, a dashboard or even a kanban board) so you can transition them to "to do" and have them appear on your scrum board.

Suggest an answer