Is there a way to export all the dropdown options for a custom field in Jira?

Wendy Grapentine March 12, 2024

I have a custom dropdown field in Jira called "Customer Name" where we (obviously) put the names of all of our customers who are financial institutions. Is there a way to export all the customer name options under that field into an excel sheet?

1 answer

1 vote
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2024

Hi @Wendy Grapentine 

Yes, you can export the options for a custom dropdown field in Jira to an Excel sheet, but it requires a few steps because as far as I know, Jira doesn't provide a direct "export to Excel" feature for field options out of the box. So I'll try to offer a couple of options which might be helpful for you:

Manually copy-paste

• Go to Jira Administration (cog icon) > Issues.
  • Click on "Custom fields" under the Fields section
  • Locate the "Customer Name" field and click on the "..." next to it, then select "Contexts and default value."
  • if you click to edit the options for the field, you should be able to see all the customer names listed where you can manually copy these names and paste into Excel

Use Jira REST API

• Find the custom field ID by navigating to the custom fields section.
  • Use the REST API endpoint to fetch the field options. /rest/api/3/field/{fieldId}/context/{contextId}/option where {fieldId} is your custom field ID. and the {contextId} for which you want to get the options.
  • You'll receive a JSON response with all the options. You can convert json to excel by simply googling a free online tool.

Best

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events