Is there a way to add a story directly to your sprint?

Michael Besems
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 6, 2024

Sometimes urgent stuff (e.g. production issues) come up during a sprint.
Is there a posibility to add these directly to the sprint?

Now I need to add them to the backlog & drag them into the sprint.
This seems to be overly complicated for something which happens a lot (and not just at my company I'm guessing).

Right now I need to tell people how to do this quite often because it's not logical. Since there is a difference between a backlog & a sprint it's counter-intuitive to add it on the backlog and then drag to the sprint.

Any help you can offer is appreciated (or any feature request which I can vote on)

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2024

Hi @Michael Besems 

Teams using Scrum practices often have stable, planned work, with infrequent disruptions for unplanned work.  This stability is one of things helping a team develop a predicable velocity for forecasting and a basis for improvements.  The steps in Jira to change sprint scope may actually help slow the team down enough to consider if they should modify their sprint plan.

Please consider when a team has a lot of unplanned work, whether using Scrum is a good fit for them, versus using practices like Kanban with a very small WIP limit to accommodate arrival of urgent work.  Or instead, investigating why there is so much unplanned work and what could be done to address that: improve refinement and planning, reduce production defects, etc.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Perisic Nikola
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2024

Welcome to the community @Michael Besems !

I understand your frustration, however, sadly, there is no other way to add the stories to the ongoing sprints rather than drag and dropping from the backlog.

Currently from : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-7754?filter=98153&jql=text%20~%20%22add%20story%22 where you can request for the features, there is no feature like this.

You can create your own requests by putting them on the community, since on the server side it is not possible to do.

Michael Besems
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 6, 2024

Thanks, added it as a request. might gain some traction, might not. At least I put in the effort

Like Perisic Nikola likes this

Suggest an answer