Is there a way in JIRA (cloud version) to show burndown of the IN PROGRESS tickets ?

Paromita Banerjee April 10, 2019

Currently when our Sprint Completes we have several user stories that are IN PROGRESS or IN CODE REVIEW in our Active Sprint's swimlanes. It could be that the Dev has finished 80-90% of the work done on these tickets but we have to take them to the NEXT SPRINT because they didn't fully meet the definition of DONE. The Burndown chart does not factor this situation as I understand. It only reflects those stories that have moved to the DONE column within a SPRINT. This is an inaccurate representation of a story's burn down for the IN PROGRESS tickets. Can someone kindly suggest me what is the best way to tackle this situation?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

I think you have misunderstood what burning down is.  It is "counting the issue sizes when they are done".  It is nonsense to burn down when a story is not complete.  What Jira is doing here is correct, and your process for counting is wrong (not the process itself, but because it's not Scrum, it's wrong for the tool)

I think you may have misunderstood sprints too.  When a sprint ends, issues that still have work outstanding on them are supposed to move to the next sprint (or go back into the backlog) because you still need to plan the work on them.

However, you can make Jira handle your process a bit better - put the "in progress" status in the "done" column.  Of course, that does mean your process is now marking things done when they might not be, but that is what you're doing already.

Suggest an answer