Is there a specific guide for migrating Jira 6.x to a new server?

Daniel Pipe August 17, 2022

I have found migration guides that detail v7.1 and one detailing v9.1 specifically. 

Is the process similar for v6.x (6.3.4 specifically) or will I run into issues following the same process?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There used to be, but Atlassian has dropped it off the "easy to find" list and I can't find it anymore.

However, it is the same process, it hasn't changed since about Jira 4.  You can follow the docs for 7.x and above, (obviously, use the versions of java and database that support Jira 6.3), but the principles are the same - it's essentially a copy.

Thank you. One more thing, is it possible to dry run the migration while keeping the original running, or will I run into license issues with the new (dry-run) installation? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Yes, absolutely.  The servers won't interact with each other.

Daniel Pipe August 19, 2022

Migrating JIRA to Another Server - JIRA 6 - CWIKI.US

What is the issue with importing a database that was not restricted access during the migration? 

Will JIRA simply lose out on any data added to the DB after the backup? Or is there more complex issues with doing this? 

The guide (linked above) says that "Inconsistent backups cannot be restored". 

What will be my problem here? 

0 votes

Update: I have found this document for 6.4

Migrating JIRA to Another Server - JIRA 6 - CWIKI.US

Suggest an answer