Is there a row limit for CSV import?

Geoffrey Gibbs September 25, 2014

I'm getting a specific error when trying to load a csv file that has thousands of records which include issue id and parent id.  The same format is working fine for smaller files.   The error I'm getting is:

"You have selected too many fields for manual mapping! Please uncheck fields which have more than few thousand unique values."

I have not been able to find any information on what the size limit / row limit for importable CSVs are.  Can someone let me know so that I can tailor the file accordingly?

Much thanks,
Geoff

3 answers

2 votes
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2014

There are no strict limits to the size of CSV file itself, we allow user to upload as big file as attachment settings allow it to be. If you have enough memory assigned to your JIRA, importer should be able to import even 1GB files.

Your error message is connected to "Map field value" checkbox.

Zaznaczenie_091.png

When you are mapping CSV field to JIRA field, you do not need to check "Map field value" checkbox. You need to check it only if you'd like to manually map values from your CSV file to JIRA values. This is really useful for fields such as Issue Types, Resolutions, Priorities etc, it doesn't make much sense for non-unique fields.

JIRA won't allow you to go to the next step, if you have selected fields that have more than few thousand unique values, because it would result that next page would contain a table with few thousand textboxes.

Geoffrey Gibbs September 29, 2014

Thank you. This was completely user error. While embarrassed, I am happy to report all imports have worked successfully since then.

pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

Thanks for letting us know, that import worked correctly. If you have any more questions feel free to create a new Atlassian Answers question.

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2016

The limit should not apply when using  External System Import CSV (from System > External System Import).

For details see:

0 votes
Aaron Bauman February 11, 2016

Yes, as of Feb 11 2016, there is a 250 row limit to importing issues via CSV

major frowny face

Aaron Bauman February 11, 2016

re-reading your comment i see you're probably asking about a column limit.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2016

@Aaron Bauman: 

The limit should not apply when using  External System Import CSV (from System > External System Import).

For details see:

Suggest an answer