Is there a need to install another JIRA for another 10-user license?

Jenny Alvarez January 9, 2020

Here's the scenario:

Currently, JIRA Server 8.1 is installed and we are using the 10-user starter license. But we have a requirement to get separate 10-user starter license for other projects' team.

My question is do we need to download, install and setup the software again for the newly acquired starter license? Or is there a setting wherein we'll use the current setup and add new license so we can use the current installed JIRA?

I am sorry I am not familiar on how to setup 2 JIRA licenses which will be used by different teams in our project. Please guide me on this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

Hi @Jenny Alvarez 

Can you clarify if the 10 user starter license you already and the newly acquired started license is for Jira Core or Jira Software?

If the licenses are different, for eg Jira Software and Jira Core, you can apply for the licenses on one instance on the versions & licenses page. 

However, if the license is for the same application, for example, Jira Software only, then you will need to install another Jira Software instance. 

Regarding your question:

Or is there a setting wherein we'll use the current setup and add new license so we can use the current installed JIRA?

This can only be done if the license is different. For example, you already have Jira Sofware license and you acquired a Jira Core or Jira Service Desk license. You can also replace the current Jira Software license with a new license but you cannot apply two licenses for the same application. 

What you can do is to install a new Jira Software instance, then export the xml backup from the old Jira instance to the new Jira instance to have the same set of data. You can then apply the new licenses to the new instance. 

Jenny Alvarez January 9, 2020

@Adrian StephenBoth(currently installed and one to purchase) are same, it will be JIRA Software (Server) for 10-users.

For your answer:

"However, if the license is for the same application, for example, Jira Software only, then you will need to install another Jira Software instance. " - I see, we need to do it again for the new JIRA Software.

And the JIRA port must be separate from one JIRA Software to another, is that correct?

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

Yes, a different port needs to be used in the new installation if it is installed on the same server. 

What you could also do is to upgrade/renew the existing 10 user license to 25 user license :

You may want to raise a ticket to the sales team and see if this is possible. If yes, then you can just replace the existing license key on the same Jira Software and more users are able to use it now. 

Like Jenny Alvarez likes this

Suggest an answer