Is there a limit to the length of a webhook url?

Paul Prachyl May 21, 2020

I am trying to utilize a Google script URL as a webhook. I've verified that my code works, I can do a POST from Postman, but cannot get a Jira Webhook to launch. I'm defining the webhook via the Jira admin panel. I've verified that the webhook configuration works by substituting a Webhook.site test url in it's place.

my google script URL looks like this 

https://script.google.com/a/sitexxxxx.com/macros/x/AKfycxxxxbwxIlsFj-xxxxxRZmAKbp-nXMPUHqxxxxxxxxYb/xxx

is that too long? - the above is 103 characters

Anyone know how to create a shorter URL for a POST request? Tried tinyurl but that seems to not work

2 answers

1 vote
Mathew Sprankle February 24, 2021

Your URL probably has an encoded string. Found out the hard way JIRA encodes the URL since it does the variable reference and the variable values could have special characters. If you first decode the webhook, it'll all work.

THIS NEEDS DOCUMENTED!!! Very frustrating problem Atlassian.

1 vote
Ryan Pratt June 19, 2020

That may be too long, but I've never found anything concrete about what the limit is. The longest URL I've tried that worked was 87 characters. We have to send some of our webhooks through proxies because of this.

It would be great if the Jira team could either document this limitation or fix it...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events