Is there a limit on the # of templates an instance can have?

Frank Smith June 17, 2012

Situation is there are almost an unlimited # of projects and each team wants to use their own template. Somtimes that will pick from a master list of "approved" templates, and others will want to create their own either by modifying an existing template, or rolling a new one.

Are there are limits on the # of templates?

1 answer

1 vote
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2012

Hi Frank,

There are no hard limits for the number of templates you can create per space or globally, but there will be overhead for both the users and the system if you create a bunch of templates without reusing any or deleting any.

That being said, I've never heard of any complaints about performance after adding a bunch of templates - most people run into scaling problems after too many pages or spaces.

-Simon

Frank Smith June 18, 2012

Thank you Simon. That's what I thought and was hoping to hear. You mentioned issues with scaling. Can you elaborate on that? I have heard of users with 10K people (ID's) plus on a single instance, so I presume scale issues with GH are not rooted in user base size. I am not all that familar with "pages" or "spaces" yet. Any insights, design/implemenation tips, or things to avoid are appreciated.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2012

I'm afraid there is not much more I can elaborate on. Scaling issues don't really happen with users - scaling is more of a problem with content (comments, pages, etc.). Just be sure to dedicate some time to cleaning up unused or out of date content a few times a year.

Our support team can also help if you're seeing bad performance.

Suggest an answer