Is it possible to view multiple Versions or Epics in their respective release / burndown reports?

Brandon Vulaj August 27, 2014

For low-resolution, long term planning purposes it would be incredibly useful to have multiple Versions or Epics layed across the same chart so that we can better understand when we should be aiming to start on certain releases, and if we can, even at a very high level, hope to meet goals.

Is this current functionality somewhere?

Sidenote: It would be useful for these charts to utilize story points and velocity rather than hour-based estimates.

1 answer

0 votes
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2014

Hi Brandon!

You can take a look at eazyBI report creation plugin for JIRA. With eazyBI you can create custom reports based on JIRA data.

Here is an example report of burndown chart for Sprint. Similar reports could be created for Fix version or issues within Epic.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about eazyBI. You can also contact me directly at support@eazybi.com

Kind regards,
Lauma

Brandon Vulaj August 28, 2014

Hi Lauma,
Would you be able to give me an example report related to the case I'm talking about?

Thanks!

-Brandon

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

Hi Brandon!

Here is an example report that shows how much Story Points were created in Epic as well as how many are still due. As well there is Story Points resolved within Epic % showing to which Epics not all 100% story points are resolved.

Here is also an example of Gantt chart for Epics.

Note that both charts use Page filters to only show those Issues that are with Type 'Epic'.

If you wish to do some more analysis for each epic, please let me know more details on what measures you would like to analyze.

Kind regards,
Lauma

Brandon Vulaj September 1, 2014

Thanks, Lauma.
How would I be able to go about using something like the latter report for future planning? I fooled around with it a bit, but couldn't really come up with something that I was envisioning.

ie. Use velocity to calculate when I'd be able to start and therefore complete an epic or version based on my currently scheduled work and potentially the priorty of different epics.

Maybe that example isn't possible, but the key I'm looking for is future planning of epics / versions.

Thanks! :)

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2014

For Gantt chart it is necessary to choose what will be the Start and End date to visualize in chart. In previous example I have used Issue created date and Issue resolution date, but it is also possible to do some custom calculations to get Planned Start and Planned end date.

Below is an example where I calculate Planned Start and End date using MDX function DateAddDays.

As example for issues that are not blocked by others the start date is today (3rd of September), but for the blocking issues the start is today plus Remaining estimated days (Remaining estimated hours divided by 8) of blocking issues. This means that for example Demo-24 does not start before all blocking issues are Planned to finish.

The Planned end is the Start plus Remaining estimated days.

The dates can be calculated based on other criteria as well. Is this something that you have imagined?

If you wish to try eazyBI, I can also help with creating more appropriate report calculating dates based on criteria you could describe to me from your JIRA configuration.

Kind regards,
Lauma

Brandon Vulaj September 18, 2014

Hey Lauma, I think what I *really* want is what JIRA Agile provides in the Version Report, but for multiple versions over time. If eazyBI can provide this, I think we'd be very interested. Let me know. Thanks!

Brandon Vulaj September 18, 2014

@Lauma - On top of my above comment, your Gantt chart may be sufficient if we could do that for versions I think.

Suggest an answer