Is it possible to use Kanban board as a template?

Sergey Sheypak September 20, 2015

Hi, I have several projects. I created kanban board for a project with:

• custom columns
  • custom workflow
  • custom swimlanes
  • e.t.c.

Is it possible to create the same kanbard board for other projects? I want each of my project have Kaban board built on top of one "template".

2 answers

2 votes
Dennis Poort September 28, 2015

I suppose you could create a board "My default Kanban board" and then from the "Board" menuitem choose the Copy function from the dropdown each time you want to create a new board (and change the used filter/project rules to match new board).

estorm June 15, 2016

This does seem to be the best bet. At least once you have a filter set up for the new project you can easily do this. It is a bit annoying, but not as bad as it seems at first glance.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2015

There's no board template functionality in JIRA Agile, no. 

I'm not sure that this is a bad thing though, as a Kanban board really should be built to fit to what the users need, not just "one size fits all"

Joe_Hardin December 12, 2016

I disagree. If you have an SDLC that tracks more than one workflow (e.g. requirements, features, project tasks) and you do more than one project (which is the point of an SDLC), the need is there. I'm running into this issue now. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2016

But that's the whole point - each board will need to be modified to fit what you're doing, with different projects and workflows.  So a template doesn't have a lot of use.

Suggest an answer