Is it possible to search tasks shown on Kanban board?

Jaro Satkevic June 4, 2013

We have a lot of tasks on our Kanban board and would like to have possibility to filter only stories with some search query. Is it possible?

Here I'm talking not about quick-filter (which is predefine and could be changet only in configurations), but I need somethink like search box. It will be used by unautorized users, we will shouw our kanban board for them (read only) and would like to allow users to search/filter tasks visible on kanban board.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2013

Hi Jaro,

This is seems not possible. The reason is because un-authorized users are not allowed to create/modify any board configuration. You (or the admin) will need to define the related quick filter in advance.

Cheers

5 votes
Sysret Kastrati February 11, 2016

This would be very helpful to have a quick search like it is available on the backlog in the scrum mode

Hussein Abu-Zaineh August 20, 2017

Totally Agree!!!

Like # people like this
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 21, 2017

@Hussein Abu-Zaineh 

TA DA :)

board filtering.png

ChristianWaidner February 19, 2019

Is this a cloud-only feature?

Disappointed again on Atlassian's product strategy ... :-(

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2019

@ChristianWaidner , that is an addon app - Filters for Jira

Shaun Grose May 20, 2019

If you're using Kanban, the quick search is available only in the backlog (in Jira Server, at least) - I can't understand why it hasn't just been added to the Active Board screen yet, it seems like a very simple change.

Anyone know if this is planned?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2019

@ChristianWaidner the screen shows Agile Tools & Filters for Jira Software

@Shaun Grose as far as I know there is no request ticket describing such feature - you can create one on https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/JSWSERVER/summary

0 votes
ByteR November 17, 2017

One workaround is to add the board's filter to your favorite filter list. You then have it available on the left in the side bar.  Once you click on it you will get a search field: "Contains text".  The results are displayed as a list and not on your board though.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2017

@Jaro Satkevic1, if you are on server you may want to look at Jira Agile Board Filters plugin. - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/io.extensi.jira.plugin.agileboardfilter/server/overview

Alp Erguney December 3, 2019

I appreciate the suggestion '@Jack Brickey ' but quite disappointed as this doesn't make sense at slightest!

I don't think large companies can justify paying $3.5K+ to add a simple plug-in that's been baked into JIRA Cloud for ages. It's just heartbreaking to see $3.5K worth textbox in JIRA Server's backlog view but not in its board view...

The main problem with JIRA add-ons is you can almost never convince your company to pay for an add-on. Although just a bunch of users will benefit from the add-on, you pay licence fee based on your entire users. Just mind-blowing.

Like Shaun Grose likes this
Marketplace Partner
December 4, 2019

Hi @Alp Erguney , 

I'm the Agile Tools & Filters product manager. Thanks for your feedback. 

Just to make clear the app is a set of over 20 complex Agile tools and the search box you are mentioning is only a small feature. I'd say 1% of the app. So I encourage you to have a look at the rest of the features.

The payment model is fixed and that won't change.

Regarding the justification.

In this case you're looking at 2k user tier, so it's 1,75$ per user lifetime and 0,87$ later on if you decide to upgrade your jira or the app itself.  A company that size  spends 3,5k for one or two laptops and costs like this are not noticeable.

I'll justify it in a very simple example.

Let's say out of the 2k employees 100 of them uses Jira for around 2h daily.

If an app reduces the "job to be done" time by lets say 5% that will give the company 6 minutes per employee.  Multiply by 100 employees = 6h daily saved.  If the cost of man-hour rate is about 400$ a day, 300$ will be saved daily. That will be 6000 $ saved monthly. That is 72000 a year and the app is just 3,5k $.

What if the time savings go up to 10-20%, and the number of users will go to 500 or 1000? What savings could be made?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Regards

Przemysław

Shaun Grose December 4, 2019

Hi Przemysław,

The issue isn’t the plugin, I’m sure it’s lovely.

The issue is that the feature is already in Jira, it just needs to be added to the Kanban active view. But instead Atlassian asks us to shell out for plugins.

Like Alp Erguney likes this
Alp Erguney December 4, 2019

Exactly as Shaun said Przemyslaw, thanks for taking the time to explain though. I was suggested your plug-in just to add a search box that already exists in JIRA. I'm sure it has a plethora of awesome features but I don't want to make JIRA an add-on jungle every time I need a simple UX enhancement (again, ALL I need is a text box that already exists in JIRA Cloud and Server but somehow missing in Server's board view). It's really frustrating.

By the way, how do you mention people here? It suggests entire Atlassian name database or something without even making reasonable options stand out. 

Marketplace Partner
December 5, 2019

@Alp Erguney that is a product strategy. You get a simple and clean product as Jira and customise it. I do get your point but if most of "obvious" functionalities would be merged into Jira,  a lot of apps would become obsolete. App vendors would not invest into apps, and the product itself would be much more expensive.

Use the @ character and at the top of the list you should see names involved in the discussion. Sometimes it doesn't work :)

arkadiuszgorgolewski February 11, 2020

@Prem Chudzinski _extensi_

Your calculation looks like calculation of typical MLM.
100 employees where each can save 5% of time.
Real situation:
1k employees, where 200 is working with jira, where only 10 (or less) need filters and they save 1-2% of their time by that.
In this case solution seems to be too expensive.

Like # people like this
0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013
Jaro Satkevic June 10, 2013

No, quick filters are defined in configuration, I need somethink like search box for unauthorized users to use. We show our kanban board publicly (read only) and would like to let users to search/filter on board only selected tasks.

Suggest an answer