Is it possible to require remaining hours to be updated on issue transition?

Dennis Kornbluh August 8, 2014

I presume there's a workflow change that can make this happen, but I'm not sure where to begin.

3 answers

0 votes
Joseph Neill August 24, 2017

I realize this question has been out there for a while, but I found this by searching for an answer to the same exact question and while some of this helped I think there is room for clarification.  

Here's my answer:

In short, Yes. But I'm sure you also want to know how to do it.  

Step 1: Click on the Project Settings gear icon to go to project settings, and then choose "Workflows".  

Step 2: Under "Actions" click on the edit workflow pencil icon.

Step 3: Your workflow should now display.  Click on the diagram button to display the diagram version and locate (and click on) the transition where you want users to be forced to update remaining hours.  

Step 4: In the action box that appears, choose "Validators" from the options list. 

Step 5: Click "Add Validator" then select "Field has been modified validator" and click "Add".  Now, in the "Field" dropdown, choose "Time Spent".  Add the error message you want users to see when they fail to complete this during transition. 

Step 6: Save and Publish this workflow (Backups are encouraged).

From here you can follow Atlassian's documentation on mapping a screen to a workflow transition, OR you can continue following my steps. 

Step 7: Click on the Project Settings gear icon to go to project settings, and then choose "Screens".  Now click the "Add Screen" button. Choose a name for the screen that fits your transition and give it an appropriate description.

Step 8: Now you should be in the Configure Screen page.  Choose "Log Work" from the "Select Field" dropdown. 

Step 9: Repeat steps 1 -3

Step 10: In the action box that appears, this time choos the "Edit" button.  In the "Screen" field, choose the new screen you just created.

Step 11: Save and Publish your workflow again.  

That's it.  Your users will now see your new screen during the chosen transition and they will be prompted to update their time spent. I think the confusing part is that when I was first trying to do this I was looking for a "Remaining Estimate" field when it's the "Log Work" field that fulfills this function.  Best of luck to anyone that is trying to accomplish this useful transition validator

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2014

Not sure if Dave met your goal. If you want to set the remaining estimate to 0 he's right. If you simply want to force to increase/decrease the remaining estimate in a transition, you could use a field has been modified validator. The necessary plugin is preinstalled on your cloud instance.

Dennis Kornbluh August 10, 2014

Good to know, Udo. Thanks!

On transition, I want the user to be presented with a dialog in which the remaining hours estimate may be updated. I think your suggestion gets me there, but I want to be sure. Can you elaborate?

I found the "Add Validator to Transition" page while modifying a copy of the jira workflow, but the "field has been modified" validator doesn't appear (I'm using On Demand solution, so it should be installed.) See attached.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2014

It is now :)

I added this validator to the transition "Start Progress" twice: once for Original Estimate, and again for Remaining Estimate. When I drag issue on Kanban board from To Do to In Progress...nothing happens. The fields are still empty. Not what I was expecting.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2014

Did the status change? Have you added the fields to the screen used in that transition? Do you have the correct permission to enter Work Log?

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2014

You're right. You do need to modify the workflow. If you're using the built-in "jira" workflow, you'll need to make a copy of it (and add it to a new workflow scheme) in order to be able to edit it.

This doc should be exactly what you're after. Be sure to set the "remaining estimate" to "0h" or something to that effect. Time Tracking fields take data in the format 15m, 1d, etc. You need to use the number and measure of time in workflow post-functions as well as screens.

Good info to have. Thanks!

Suggest an answer