Is it possible to have swimlanes in a Board's Backlog?

We just upgraded to Jira Core & Software Server 7.4.1 and are exploring the new backlog view. Is it possible to still have swimlanes to group backlog issues in this view, or are we giving that up by separating backlog from the rest of the board? Our swimlanes are currently based exclusively on component queries.

Regards,

-liam

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Daniel Eads Community Champion Jul 26, 2017

Hi Liam,

Swimlanes are only in play on Kanban boards. When you're in the backlog, the following ways are available to organize issues besides just ranking:

• Epics
  • Sprints
  • Quick filters (based on JQL - you can create some based on your components)

This documentation isn't 100% what you're asking about, but it's helpful to see what actions are available on the backlog view.

Daniel,

That certainly jives with what I suspected. Moving a large backlog to a different view is great for focusing attention on current work. However, having a single long list on a page that potentially requires lots of scrolling is still a challenge to manage. I'll investigate the quick filters / JQL approach. Thanks!

Regards,

-liam

This widget could not be displayed.

I just had a team ask me for something similar.  Here is what will work for them.

On a Kanban board they manage their work flow.

On a Sprint board backlog, we have several sprint rows for:

• ungroomed stuff
  • tool features
  • tool tech debt
  • legacy stuff 

I suggested they just use quick filters, but they want to see it all and have the convenience of dragging to categorize.

Hacky?  Yes.

But I have a happy team.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,437 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you