Is it possible to have multiple Clients to one project with limited access?

Olivia Porter April 1, 2024

I want to have one JIRA software instance for my agency that I can either: 

A - Make one project per client and have them only be able to access their project

B - Make one project for all clients and have them only be able to access their tickets/epics

The end goal here is to have a board for my clients to be able to create their requests in and to have them only be able to see their requests. 

Is this possible with any of the JIRA upgrades? Or the free version? I am not seeing any way to do permissions. 

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

Hi @Olivia Porter 

You can do this, but you need a paid plan to do it. This is because you need access to Permission Schemes and/or Issue Security Schemes.

---

For A, you could then...

• Create a Project per Client
  • Limit Client access using Permission Schemes, by limiting their access to "Browse Projects". I'd use a Group per client for this to make it more secure.

For B, you could...

• Create one Project
  • Limit access to issues using an Issue Security Scheme, with a level per client (again, controlled through Groups).

---

A few notes...

• In my opinion, A is a more secure option. It also would allow you to have greater flexibility per client if needed (eg. fields, workflows, etc).
  • If you do choose B, you could use Automation to set the security level based on creator (for example)
  • My recommendations are assuming you're using Company-managed Projects, which would be a more controllable model.
    • But you could do (A) using Team-managed if preferred - check out this help page, and this one for more information.
    • (B) would be more complex in Team-managed, although not impossible, using roles and issue restrictions. Issue restrictions are mentioned on this page.
  • If you just want clients to raise requests, get responses, etc - you could also consider Jira Service Management? It won't provide a board view, it's a customer help desk experience. But in this instance Customers are free, and could be sorted using Organizations to allow each client to see their tickets. Check out more on JSM here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management

---

Let us know your thoughts!

Ste

thank you Ste - it looks like creating a JSM (Customer Service Management template) would be a good option. I just would like to customize the customer's view so they dont have so many options, it would be nice if it was just a simple "submit a bug ticket" and "submit a new feature". Is it possible to customize this side of things? and is it possible to customize how these tickets are being inserted into the board? Ie: All new tickets are put into the "to do" column with the status of "to do".

and if I do go route A....can I do it with Team Managed Software?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

Hi @Olivia Porter 

Sure - JSM does come with some pre-configured templates, check them out here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-the-project-templates/

But you can customise the Project - have a small list of request types, with a small list of fields to populate, on your preferred workflow. It's very flexible.

There's a great set of help pages for customising your Project - check them out here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/configure-a-classic-service-project-as-an-administrator/

---

In terms of putting them into the To Do column, tickets in JSM are put in queues, which can be shown as a board view.

You could also...

• Filter them onto Jira Software boards
  • Clone a ticket, if you want the internal issue to be separate. You could link them together using linked issues
  • Automate the clone/update process - although, just be cognisant of execution limits depending on your plan level.

Ste

Like LynnG likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2024

Hi @Olivia Porter 

For (A) - yes, you can do this using Team-managed Projects.

You need to use Roles and Access Levels, rather than Permission Schemes. You want to ensure each Project access level is set to "private". When a project is private, only Jira admins and people you add to the project can see it in their project directory or its issues in search results.

Check out these help pages as a good starting point:

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events