Is it possible to give a specific user limited access to JIRA and Confluence ?

Joao Borges October 7, 2020

Hi there

I am wondering if its possible to give a single user, a limited access to JIRA (just 1 project + board) and limited access to Confluence

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

Yes, it is possible. For Confluence you have to set up the Global permissions with a group for limited access or assign the specific user to the permissions you want to give the user. Then you can add the user/group to specific spaces that he/she should have access to.

Checkout How do Jira permissions work? for a good overview on how you can do this. Basically you create a permission scheme that limits who can browse a project, and I would use a project role for this, then make sure all your projects are are changed over to this new permission scheme. You can also use security level to limit which issues within a project the user can see if needed.

Joao Borges October 9, 2020

@Mikael Sandberg  Is it possible for a project to have 2 different permission scheme - We are looking to limit access just for one user.  I am just concern if any changes I make in this project permission scheme, if it will affect the other users

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2020

No, you can only have one permission scheme in the project. But what you could do after you changed the ones that you currently have to block the one user to access all but one project, is to create a copy of that permission scheme and assign it to the project. That way you can make changes to that permission scheme without affecting other projects.

Katelyn Botts June 3, 2021

@Mikael Sandberg - to ensure I'm understanding this (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/how-do-jira-permissions-work/) correctly... Can I have a project where we invite customers (i.e. no Atlassian license) to have limited permissions to review our Jira board for a specified project?

It looks like based on the workflow in that link that it's possible but wanted to confirm I'm understanding correctly.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

@Katelyn Botts No, your customers would still need a license in order to access Jira Work Management and Jira Software projects. It is only Jira Service Management that allows customer access without a license.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events