Is it possible to email an attachment directly to a subtask in Jira?

grillin March 26, 2024

I routinely create Epics and corresponding sub tasks as part of my day to day work flow. Sometimes, I need to attach text files generated on a linux vm.

Those files are usually from 3,000-10,000+ lines of text, so they're a little clunky to work with in the terminal app.

Rather than having to select the output of cat textfile.txt, copy the the 2-3000 lines to notepad, save the file, then log into Jira and ttach that file to a sub task, I thought I would just create a script to email the files to myself.

That's when I wondered if it would be possible to construct an email with an attachment that Jira could then attach to a subtask of an Epic.

Is this possible? I'd settle for something close as well.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2024

Hi @grillin ,

in JSM it is pretty straightforward to simply reply to an email from Jira and have the attachment added to the issue. In Jira it is a bot more challenging but you can set up an incoming mail handler to create or add comments with attachments.

incoming mail handler can be configured here - https://xxxxxx.atlassian.net/secure/admin/IncomingMailServers.jspa

What is key here is that the email needs to be a reply to an existing issue email.

Suggest an answer