Is it possible to customize fields in the "create issue" based on a field other than "Projects"?

Alberto Martinez November 3, 2017

To further clarify, whenever you create an issue, you are brought to the create issue overlay. Choosing the project allows you to have different form fields depending on which project is selected. 

I was wondering if it is possible to create another field besides the project, that would allow for custom field entries as well. Basically is it possible to create another field that has the power to change the fields underneath?

I need this because we are currently using the "project" field as the team the work falls under. I can't change that one because it all needs to fall under the same team. 

I'm not sure if my "project" dropdown is someone else's "X." 

3 answers

4 votes
Ethan Foulkes November 7, 2017

There is a video showing you how to do exactly what Justin says here.

Hope that helps!

1 vote
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

To echo Mikael's response, you could re-architect your single project to have multiple contexts in the form of issue types. Then you can control what is shown on the screen for each issue type.

If you want to go down the Power Scripts route, you could have a field, for example, called "Context" that the user can select. And based on that selection you could hide or show fields using the Live Fields feature with routines like lfHide() and lfShow().

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2017

It is the screen mapped to the selected issue type that controls what fields you see when creating an issue (via screen schemes which are associated with the project). Have a look at this, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver075/project-screens-schemes-and-fields-935391216.html

You could use a custom field to control what is being displayed on a screen, but then you need an app like Scriptrunner, Power Scripts or others that allow you to do scripting. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2017

And to take it a bit further, you can setup your custom fields selects to show different content based on the project by configuring different context for different projects. 

Suggest an answer