Is it possible to clone Jira Next Gen Kanban Projects?

Bronté Miles January 31, 2019

Hi there,

Can anyone advise on whether it's possible to close Jira Next Gen projects i.e. if I want to duplicate a project set-up and issue types quickly?

If this isn't available yet, could anyone let me know if this is on the roadmap for Next Gen development?

Thanks,

B

3 answers

2 votes
crystal.holmes February 9, 2021

this is a bummer. even if we want simplicity, at my company we wouldn't change the issue types or development workflow from initiative (ie jira project) to initiative (ie jira project).  so now that i'm making my second of many more jira next-gen projects, i have to completely rebuild the issues and the status workflows.  

Leopoldo Augusto Silva Rezende March 3, 2021

I am having exactly the same problem!

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2019

You can create a new project and select “share configuration with existing project”. This will create a project that has the same schemes, etc. that is as close to cloning as you can get OOTB. There likely are addons that get you closer to cloning.

Hi Jack,

How does this work with Next-Gen projects though?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2019

ugh....sorry missed the NG. it does not but in reality it doesn't need to IMO as NG is so simple and requires very little setup/config at this time.

Yes, it's very simple indeed! However, I'm working with a team who is not pleased to be using Jira and so thought making the project set-up process easier might mitigate some of the change resistance.

Like # people like this
Toni March 25, 2019

This would be a small but effective change!

Like # people like this
Chris Mullins June 4, 2019

Jack - my use case is that I have created a template NextGen Project with Epics, Issues, Links, and Role assignments, and I then want to clone this template for each new Project. Am I approaching this incorrectly for Jira? Perhaps there is a better way?

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2019

@Chris Mullins simply put, you cannot clone/copy a NG project, unless something has changed which entirely possible but not likely.

Each NG project is standalone and must be created from the ground up.

To accomplish what you are stating you should use Classic project.

Like Both Miklós likes this
Mike Boote June 21, 2019

is there a 'simple' way to convert a NG project to classic, clone it, convert both to NG ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2019

check the Marketplace for addons for cloning projects. there may be something out there for NG by now too but not sure. You may have to reach out to the addon support channel to get the specific question on NG cloning answered.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 9, 2019

We released an update of our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira that enables you to bulk clone more than thousand issues at once in next-gen projects.

You would still have to setup the new project but could bulk copy all issues at once.

Cloning between next-gen and classic projects is also possible.

Like # people like this
Bronté Miles July 9, 2019

Thanks, @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine, I'll check this out. 

0 votes
Афанасьев Григорий January 21, 2022

Suggest an answer