Is it okay to remove Story issue type?

Philip Winston June 29, 2013

Epic and Story issue types were added by Greenhopper I believe. We have started using Epics but we have never used Story. What exactly is the point of Story, how does it contrast with Bug, New Feature, Improvement and Task? We were thinking of removing Story, but is there some special role it has that we shouldn't remove it? Will Greenhopper add it back?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2013

Hi Philip,

You can find more information about the Story issue type in the following link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Story

Also, the following link can be helpful (A Story is used on Agile methodology, and it is really useful):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story

My suggestion would be to keep this issue type, and if you don't want to use it for now, create a new Issue Type Scheme that doesn't include that issue type. You can apply this new Issue Type Scheme to all of your projects if you want.

Please see Associating Issue Types with Projects for more information.

Cheers,

Clarissa

Philip Winston July 1, 2013

Yes using the issue type scheme to remove it from our project seems like the right approach, thanks!

I see how a "user story" is a useful concept, and probably we should be using it. But I'm still wondering about the Story issue type in JIRA, is it functionaly identical to Bug, New Feature, Improvement and Task, is it just the *name* that's different? That's what I was wondering. For instance Epic is not like Bug, New Feature, Improvement and Task. Epic has a special "grouping" role, in that other issues can be in an Epic. But does Story have anything special about it?

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

Hi Philip,

No, in this case, a Story is just like a Bug or a Task, it is a regular issue type. It has no special grouping role, as the Epic issue type.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Suggest an answer