Is it legal to register a domain with "jira" in it

Sergey Turkin June 6, 2019

For example I have my domain "example.com". Is it legal to create "jira.example.com" for my jira software server? I mean can I use word "jira" for my purpose? Thanks for any answers!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2019

Hello All,

That is a great question to ask if you’re able to use an Atlassian trademarked product name within your domain or subdomains URL. The TL;DR is, Yes you are able to use an Atlassian trademarked name within your URL but not within your domain or subdomain. The more detailed answer is as follows:

The following comes from https://www.atlassian.com/legal/trademark

For Our Customers and the General Public

Atlassian embraces “fair use” of its trademarks.  As such, you may use the foregoing trademarks to identify Atlassian and its family of products, for example, in your website, blog, news article, or product review, without our written consent, as long as you use them without modification or deceptive intent and do not cause a likelihood of confusion between yourself and Atlassian’s brands.

• The above means you’re able to use the trademarks within the fair use agreement without modification to name or logo. This allows you to use the trademark within your URL.

Domains.  Atlassian’s trademarks (or similar terms) should not be used in your domain name. This is misleading because it represents you as Atlassian. You may, however, use Atlassian trademarks in the URL path. Examples of approved third party domains include: vendordomain.com and vendordomain.com/atlassian. Examples of third party domains that are not approved include: atlassian.vendordomain.com, vendordomain.atlassian.com, vendor-atlassian.com, confluence-vendorname.com, and jiraforagile.com.

• This states you’re able to use an Atlassian trademark name within your URL (not a domain that is similar as it would be confused as an Atlassian domain within the examples). Meaning, you’re able to use YourDomain.com/Jira or MyDomain.com/Confluence without issue. You’re not able to use Atlassian.MyDomain.com.

Grandfathering

Atlassian’s Trademark Guidelines were introduced at a point in time when some companies and individuals had already created product names that include the Atlassian trademarks in a manner that does not comply with the Guidelines. Companies and individuals using the Atlassian product trademarks by or before October 1, 2009 will not be required to change their already existing product names to comply with these Guidelines now or in the future. However, we do request that these companies and individuals give proper notice and attribution of the Atlassian trademarks, and that any new product name will follow these guidelines.

• The above points out that if you’re domain or subdomain was using an Atlassian trademark before the date listed then you’re grandfathered in and are not required to change your domain or subdomain. It implies you’re able to show proof of registration before the listed date.

Additionally, if you do have any questions regarding trademarks, it would be best to contact that team directly via email at trademarks@atlassian.com.

I hope this proves helpful and clarifies what you’re able to do with an Atlassian trademarked name within a URL or Domain.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Atlassian | Senior Support Engineer

Sergey Turkin June 9, 2019

Thanks a lot for help! So very short answer is:
allowed: example.com/jira
restricted: jira.example.com

Correct me, if I am wrong.

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
0 votes
Digital Khan June 11, 2019

Well, I have been browsing here quite a while having exact same query. I have bookmarked this page. will surely read it twice to get this done. I hope this helps. Thanks a lot for sharing this

Regards.

0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

Hi @Sergey Turkin 

as far I know people do it all the time. But to get clarity I asked Atlassian Team for clarification.

Cheers
Niklas

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

Hi @Sergey Turkin / anyone from Atlassian that reads this.

According to https://www.atlassian.com/legal/trademark

--

Domains.  Atlassian’s trademarks (or similar terms) should not be used in your domain name. This is misleading because it represents you as Atlassian. You may, however, use Atlassian trademarks in the URL path. Examples of approved third party domains include: vendordomain.com and vendordomain.com/atlassian. Examples of third party domains that are not approved include: atlassian.vendordomain.com, vendordomain.atlassian.com, vendor-atlassian.com, confluence-vendorname.com, and jiraforagile.com.

Moreover, your website should look like your website, not ours. It should not borrow heavily from or closely resemble Atlassian's website or web properties. For the sake of customers and consumers, clearly distinguishable websites help everyone.

--

So by the letter of this, "Examples of third party domains that are not approved include: atlassian.vendordomain.com" - and while the example here is atlassian. - this is just one of the trademarked terms, as is jira/confluence/etc and I know a SIGNIFICANT amount of teams who run this approach.

Atlassian's own documentation about reverse-proxying (https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/proxying-atlassian-server-applications-with-apache-http-server-mod_proxy_http-806032611.html) suggests you use the application name in the sub-domain, so these two pieces of documentation are at odds with each other.

It would be nice to see a written exception in the Domains saying that $atlassianappname.company.com was permitted if you were running that application there (or similar).

CCM

Like # people like this
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2019

@Craig Castle-Mead 

I think the docs about reverse-proxying are actually targeting on-premise systems which are usually not reachable from outside the company.

Partners and vendors shouldn't use Atlassian or product names at the beginning of a domain name.

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Sergey Turkin June 9, 2019

@Sloan N_ B_
So it seems like they all do wrong, acording to atlassian document and atlassian team answer written by @Stephen Sifers :)

Like James Schlackman likes this
Digital Khan June 11, 2019

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer