• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it allowed to enter Jira credentials in Jira plugin app

I am developing a Jira plugin that will require the user credentials to be sent to an external backend hosted on AWS to perform some tasks and display the results back in Jira as Issues via APIs. My questions are 

1- Is it allowed to send the credentials to an external service ?. Of course it will be clearly stated that the username/password will not be saved anywhere and this is part of the functionality of the plugin.   

2- I know that sending requests to external service is allowed but in such scenario do you believe there are any hidden points i should be aware of ?.

3- Are there any restrictions when it comes to communication with external services ?. I couldn't find any

Thanks in advance 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I think, in theory, you could do this.  Legally, I'm not qualified to go into it.  So I'm not sure about "allowed".

However, on a technical level, it doesn't matter.  You can not send the credentials from Jira to another service, as Jira does not have them.  There's nothing it can send.

You need to be looking at shared authentication systems if you want to do this.  Not username/password.

Thanks for your answer, I got in touch with one of the technical Managers and waiting his confirmation but I guess there is nothing against it anyway. I will accept your answer

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

637 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you