Is it allowed to enter Jira credentials in Jira plugin app

Shady Hussein January 20, 2021

I am developing a Jira plugin that will require the user credentials to be sent to an external backend hosted on AWS to perform some tasks and display the results back in Jira as Issues via APIs. My questions are 

1- Is it allowed to send the credentials to an external service ?. Of course it will be clearly stated that the username/password will not be saved anywhere and this is part of the functionality of the plugin.   

2- I know that sending requests to external service is allowed but in such scenario do you believe there are any hidden points i should be aware of ?.

3- Are there any restrictions when it comes to communication with external services ?. I couldn't find any

Thanks in advance 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

I think, in theory, you could do this.  Legally, I'm not qualified to go into it.  So I'm not sure about "allowed".

However, on a technical level, it doesn't matter.  You can not send the credentials from Jira to another service, as Jira does not have them.  There's nothing it can send.

You need to be looking at shared authentication systems if you want to do this.  Not username/password.

Shady Hussein February 1, 2021

Thanks for your answer, I got in touch with one of the technical Managers and waiting his confirmation but I guess there is nothing against it anyway. I will accept your answer

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events